Kevin Roberts remembers when he could get a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a drink from Five Guys for $10. But that was years ago. When the Virginia high school teacher recently visited the fast-food chain, the food alone without a beverage cost double that amount.

Roberts, 38, now only gets fast food “as a rare treat,” he told CBS MoneyWatch. “Nothing has made me cook at home more than fast-food prices.”

Roberts is hardly alone. Many consumers are expressing frustration at the surge in fast-food prices, which are starting to scare off budget-conscious customers.

A January poll by consulting firm Revenue Management Solutions found that about 25% of people who make under $50,000 were cutting back on fast food, pointing to cost as a concern.

• FirstCircle@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 个月前

Re: the comments here I’m not for a moment buying the “too busy to cook, must eat fast food” argument or similar arguments portraying fast food as, why, almost necessary in this busy day and age! If you don’t want to cook (I don’t want to if I can avoid it, but do it anyway occasionally and usually make several days worth of dish X at a time to minimize my cooking time), you can easily go to you nearby Winco/Walmart/Aldi/etc and load up on some interesting frozen dishes for way, way less $ than the prices I’m seeing mentioned here. And I’m not talking about some kind of 1960s “TV dinner” things either - bogus stereotype of the concept. Even Trader Joe’s (where you shouldn’t shop b/c anti-union) is comparatively cheap and has super interesting frozen stuff. No time to cook tonight? Well just pop your frozen dish out of the freezer and into the microwave and five minutes later you’ve got an actual “meal” of sorts in front of you, and likely one with 1/10th the calories of that “meal” you got from McFatsos at 5x the price.

Ah, but it won’t be DEEP FRIED goodness and lots and lots and lots of volume and lots and lots of pure concentrated sugar in that totally mandatory fast food dessert. No, you’ll probably be getting a relatively (to McFatsos) small-ish portion and it probably won’t have started its life being deep-fried and it might just have some interesting veggies … and no dessert unless you explicitly microwave something else.

This Will Not Stand! Must have fat and more fat and more deep fry and more sugar … that’s a “meal” … and must have it because, er, oh yeah, “no time”. Yeah, that’s it, no time.

Americans are simply addicted to garbage food (fat/sugar) and in tremendous quantities and if they don’t get it, well now, the world is going to hell clearly.

Partial source: worked in fast food in HS (McD’s clone) for a few years and did pretty much every task there was to be done in the “kitchen”. The “kitchen” being, in that case, a grill for cooking greasy burgers and prepping greasy bacon and a deep fat fryer for frying up those potatoes in bulk and also the “tots” (same grease as the fries) and also the frozen “pie” concoctions (same grease as the fries).

Eating this crap if you have a grocery store anywhere nearby and a microwave is completely unnecessary but people do it anyway because it tastes soooo good! … because of grease and sugar.

OK if you’re on the road all the time, a trucker or on an extended road trip, you have to figure out something cheap/healthy, but pretty much every motel room I’ve ever rented has come with a fridge and a microwave and I’ve had no problems figuring out a workable solution with the hardware available.

Say “no” to garbage “food” addiction and you’ll save a fortune.