• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

David Cameron has urged the BBC to describe Hamas as a terrorist organisation, reviving an accusation that the corporation shies away from a valid description of the Islamist group that is holding Israeli hostages.

The UK foreign secretary told the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg that the organisation should reconsider its guidelines in light of a video released by Hamas showing the British-Israeli hostage Nadav Popplewell, who the group said had died in Gaza.

Hamas released a statement on Saturday saying the 51-year-old had died after being wounded in an Israeli airstrike a month ago.

Cameron said on Sunday that he was unable to give any updates on Popplewell’s fate while the Foreign Office investigated what had happened.He said: “Like everyone else, I watched the video on Twitter, X, last night, put out by Hamas of Nadav answering a question as to who he was.

The BBC calls Hamas a proscribed terrorist organisation, but has been reluctant to go further for fear it could be seen to be taking sides in the conflict.

It added that “for some days we had not been using ‘militant’ as a default description for Hamas, as we have been finding this a less accurate description for our audiences as the situation evolves”.Popplewell was captured with his mother from her home in the Nirim kibbutz during Hamas’s 7 October incursion in southern Israel, according to the Hostages and Missing Families Forum.

The original article contains 444 words, the summary contains 234 words. Saved 47%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!