I was thinking about how I missed having an indoor thermometer that measures humidity. It’s such a small specific thing, one I’d never think of getting unless pushed to it (which I was by one particularly dry winter). But I like having one now.

What are your small, “random” or “junk drawer” type of gadgets that you actually use or like having around?

• mikyopii@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I got a carbonization machine. I’ve been drinking way more water these days. I always thought I liked soda because of the sugar. Actually I liked the fizziness. It gets fizzier than anything else I’ve ever drank.

• Asclepiaz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I can’t agree more! I have tried both soda stream and drinkmate and would recommend the drinkmate. It’s just better, you can fizz juice and non-water drinks. Soda stream is also a consumer boycott target if you don’t want to support the genocide in Palestine. 😬

• Dharma Curious@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I’ve been wanting to get one for forever, but was told you couldn’t carbonate non water drinks, and to mix flavor into the carbonated water (which, to my thinking, would make it go flat…). In the drink mate, could I make Kool aid (with Splenda) and carbonate that? Cause if I can have fizzy cherry drink, I’ll be a happy boy.

• KnoLord@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

You can carbonate non-water drinks with anyone of those, regardless of brand - heck, Sodastream even sells you flavoured syrup to mix with your water.

Just, be careful to clean those nozzles more, as sugary drinks are sticky by nature.

• Dieinahole@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

You can totally carbonate non-water. But be careful.

Wine is pretty nice, rum and whiskey will take ten times the amount of gas and then explode all over, ‘fallen soldiers’ will still taste stale…

Fruit juices are good too, but also will take more gas than they can hold

• lemmyng@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

You can carbonate and then add Kool aid liquid drink mix. That will keep the carbonating nozzle clean while still giving you your choice of flavor.

• whynotzoidberg@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

I have a Soda Stream and use powders. The trick is to turn your powder into a “syrup” first.

Mix your powder with 1-2 oz of water, stir it well (I use a hand held milk frother), and then put that into your bubbly water.

• Valmond@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

If you corbonise rose wine in the soda stream, put less than you would have put water. Like 80%. Or the bottle might like get a bit stuck. Or so I have heard.

Also guess don’t put sugary wine in it, never knew why you shouldn’t though, CO2 doesn’t react with sugar, right? Please do tell if you know!

• Asclepiaz@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I’m lazy AF, so I just give it a gooood rinse in hot water after every use. I will say it is one more step than the soda stream but there is the added benefit that you never will need to play against the clock when dumping syrups it after you’ve carbonated. I always ended up with a sticky mess after failing to seal in time with the soda stream.

• Catoblepas@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Cold, fresh seltzer water is the nectar of the gods. If you get unflavored seltzer in a can it has a noticeable unpleasant aftertaste, which I guess is why almost all of them are flavored. But plain filtered tap water in a seltzer maker? Glorious.

• marx2k@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I’ve had a hacked up sodastream for over a decade. I get a 20lb co2 tank connected to it. Seltzer all day for months for like $30/refill

• renrenPDX@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Ide recommend an in line filter for that co2 tank. Had a 20# set up for my kegerator (had a tank just for carb water) The gas should be clean but there was definitely an odd taste to it until I installed a filter. A bit expensive at <200USD but highly recommend.

• marx2k@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Interesting. I haven’t noticed any weirdness and the place refilling it advertises it as ‘food grade co2’. I also use it for my beer kegs. No issue. I used to get refills from a wedding shop. That was a bit sketchy but also no issues with taste.

• renrenPDX@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I was under the impression that my source was food grade as well, but I noticed it when coming from soda stream to kegged carb water having a slight bitter taste. Disappeared with the filter and subsequent refills for both soda and beer. It could very well be how strong I made the carb water too.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

We used a soda stream for a little while until we realized how stupid expensive they are. Then we donated it and went to the local beer brewing shop and asked how we can make our own carbonated water. He hooked us up with a 5 lb canister of Co2, a valve, a hose, and a connector that goes on 2 liter bottles. Now we can make carbonated water in larger quantities for pennies on the dollar compared to soda stream. It costs about $35 to refill the Co2 canister and it lasts 6-8 months worth of constant use.