• TreeGhost@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

You’re complaining about someone getting to go to a buffet when you are starving while someone just flew halfway across a country on a private jet to eat a steak down the block from you.

If you want to complain about money not going to get everyone basic needs met, then team together with the people who more often than not are also struggling to get by and target who actually has the money and hoards it for power instead of using it to eliminate hunger from the world.

• Foreigner@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

And how is this the fault of the LGBT community? Are the LGBT community specifically responsible for native americans not getting enough attention? You have yet to make an argument why the LGBT community itself deserves your ire. Have they somehow -tricked- people into getting more attention? I really struggle to understand why you’ve picked on this group in particular. Are black people being given too much attention too? Women? Elderly people with dementia?

• BadAdvice@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Let’s look at all those groups as a percentage of the population and you tell me who should recieve the attention. Women? Half the population? Black people? Maybe 20-30% of the population around me? Elderly people with dementia? Now we have a very tiny group, except literally anyone could become a part of this group eventually. Now the LGBTQIA+. Not even 1 in 10, and that’s in our VERY accepting society with legally protected status. You don’t even get rounded up in concentration camps. Not here anyways. But could rupaul spare a shout out for my people on the rez? Nah. Better talk about lizzo some more. She needs the exposure.

• Foreigner@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Ho boy where do I start? You are aware LGBT individuals are everywhere, right? Including on your reservation? In every country in the world, in every social class, race, religion, etc? We are children, siblings, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, colleagues, friends, etc etc. HOW are you surprised the LGBT community gets this kind of representation? The vast majority of people know or know of someone who is LGBT in their social circle. Can the same be said for native americans? Don’t assume I don’t feel for your people, but conflating LGBT representation as somehow a specific injustice to native americans is incredibly flimsy logic.

Using Rupaul as an example is a supremely poor choice given drag race has specifically given representation to native performers in the US and Canada, and created a platform for those performers to highlight issues their communities have faced:

https://dragsociety.com/blogs/the-tea/native-american-queens-who-rocked-rupauls-drag-race

And again why is it his or any other LGBT individual’s responsibility to fight for your cause anymore than it should be anyone else’s responsibility?

And you want to talk numbers, ok let’s talk numbers. I’ll use my country as an example. We’re 32 million people, over 60% of that population lives in poverty. Not the deluxe American level of poverty, third world country levels of poverty. That’s nearly 20 million people. Nearly half of those 32 million don’t have access to clean water, that’s over 16 million. Only one in five have access to adequate sanitation, that’s 28 million people without adequate sanitation. How many native americans are there in the US? Around 7 million? That’s a lot more people in a lot worse living conditions where I’m from than your entire population combined. Should I start complaining that you have more representation in famous movies than my people do? Should I concern troll about there being more native American millionaires than there are in my country? Should I expect native americans to fight for my people’s cause too, to give us a shout-out? Using your logic I should go around dismissing any calls for justice for native american peoples simply by citing the fact that more than the equivalent of triple your entire population are living in abject poverty in my country.

Oh and another thing - this whole time you’ve been shitting in the LGBT community you’ve neglected the fact that the new pride flag was redesigned not only to give a specific shout out to trans individuals, but also people of colour AND INDIGENOUS PEOPLE, represented by the black and brown stripes:

https://dmh.lacounty.gov/blog/2022/06/a-brief-history-of-our-lgbtqia2-s-pride-flag/

But sure, it’s the gays that are at fault for your community not getting enough airtime. Unbelievable.