• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The US government has provided more detail on how a former AT&T executive allegedly bribed a powerful state lawmaker’s ally in order to obtain legislation favorable to AT&T’s business.

Former AT&T Illinois President Paul La Schiazza is set to go on trial in September 2024 after being indicted on charges of conspiracy to unlawfully influence then-Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan.

A contract lobbyist hired by AT&T “is expected to testify that AT&T successfully passed two major pieces of legislation after the company started making payments to Individual FR-1.”

In one internal email sent to an AT&T employee, La Schiazza allegedly described the company’s quid pro quo with Madigan as “the friends and family plan.”

“Madigan’s outsized power in the General Assembly meant his approval was necessary for the passage or defeat of legislation of concern to AT&T,” the government filing in the La Schiazza case said.

"Specifically, at McClain’s request, defendant and his coconspirators arranged for AT&T to pay Individual FR-1, a former state representative and political ally of Madigan, approximately $22,500 for supposed consulting services.

The original article contains 582 words, the summary contains 176 words. Saved 70%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!