• terwn43lp@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

i hear what you’re saying, but we’re in 2024 now and large-scale veganism is definitely practical

• birthday_attack@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I’ve been around these arguments enough times to see the discussion inevitably get to this point. We dance around the idea of “is it worth it to go vegan or not?” long enough, until eventually someone concedes that “yes it is better to do, but it’s not practical to ask everyone to do it/you can’t get everyone to go vegan/it won’t solve the problem if we go vegan and do nothing else/etc.”

Convenient that any time an environmental initiative requires even tiny changes to our day to day lives, suddenly we need to look for the solutions vaguely “elsewhere.” I guess let’s ignore the fact that emissions from food alone are enough to push the planet over the 1.5C degree warming threshold for the planet, and that the average US consumer eats an order of magnitude more red meat than could ever be sustainable.

If you truly think that it’s worth doing, either do it, or admit that you selfishly don’t want to. Don’t try and pretend the climate science backs up your opinions though.

As an aside, this is basically my goodbye letter to Lemmy, so so probably not going to follow up on this thread. The platform is so small that people can’t help but creep into communities that show up in the overall feed. Say what you will about Reddit, but at least there, spaces created specifically for in-groups (like a space called “vegancirclejerk”) didn’t constantly get commenters from the wider world knocking on the door and starting flame wars in the comments. Like, can there be no space for vegans to just fuck around and post memes in peace?

Maybe finally I’ll get some peace by logging off and touching some grass. And then eating the grass, bc I’m vegan btw

• Applejuicy@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Thank you for the comment. I heavily resonate with the last part. I don’t come to vegan communities online to be bombarded with non-vegans making the same terrible arguments, I have enough of that in real life. Leaving Lemmy seems like a more attractive option.

• Dragofix@veganism.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

@mojo_raisin It’s because of factory farming which is 97%+ of all production. Factory farmed animals don’t have access to a healthy soil where they would normally get their B12 and other nutrients. That means rising animals for mass consumption is totally wrong.

Same goes with humans. People today are so separated from the healthy soil, they lack B12.

• snooggums@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Vegetarian and vegan diets have been around for thousands of years in parts of Asia, well before B12 supplements. Cultures sorted out the nutritional requirements through ingredients, and the lack of B12 in western vegan diets has more to do with common western ingredients than some inherent problem with a plant based diet.

I’m not even vegetarian or vegan, just annoyed with misconceptions about their feasibility.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Ancient and prehistoric peoples didn’t care about dogma, being “vegan”, that’s a modern thing.

That is why I was clear about the diets being around. Diets can exist without the dogma.

• TranscendentalEmpire@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Vegetarian and vegan diets have been around for thousands of years in parts of Asia, well before B12 supplements.

Vegetarianism yes… veganism I don’t think that’s really plausible.

I think this may come down to different cultures classifying what they consider to be meat.

For example if you go to Korea, it’s really really simple to be a vegetarian and almost impossible to be a vegan. Most of your basic cooking spices are going to include things like dried krill powder. And if you asked the cook or waiter if there are meat or animal byproducts, they will tell you “no meat”.

• PixellatedDave@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I don’t understand your argument. I went vegan at age 51. Before I went vegan I was a meat eater and loved meat. I can honestly say I do not crave meat now.

I think it is just a case of developing your palette. It’s like when some children don’t like veggies but then grow to love them as part of the diet or cutting down on sugar.

• iiGxC@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Yeah, I mean if you look at how carcinogenic red meat is to humans, it’s unlikely we ate all that much of it

but even so, just because we’re adapted for something doesn’t mean we should continue that behavior.

• iiGxC@slrpnk.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu9w4klc-B4 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34455534 and more sources in the description. Red meat definitely is carcinogenic lmao.

And if what you take from me is that we shouldn’t consider how our population affects us and the world then either I seriously fucked up in communicating or your reading comprehension is garbage. The way our population affects us and our world is why people should be vegan in the first place. When we consider our impact seriously and without bias, going vegan is the biggest, easiest thing to do first to reduce our impact

• iiGxC@slrpnk.net
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    2 months ago

Inflamation caused by heme iron, iirc

our biological hunger imperative doesn’t imply eating animal products. Roadkill, freshly killed animals, dairy, eggs are not inherently appetizing to humans. If anything it’s the opposite, a dead body is repulsize to most people. A huge percentage of humans are lactose intolerant. Raw eggs are gross. Fruits are about as close as you can get to biological hunger imperative, the other stuff we learn to like and/or cook to make it taste good

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Lions have nutritional requirements that can’t be met without meat or enough generations and pressures to evolve the ability to process what they need from plants.

That is a major difference between big cats and dogs, as dogs are omnivores and could make due without meat.