I got in on an earlier flight, and arrived at 6 it was a pain in the ass… I literally had to walk around for like 4 hours until things opened, and I was so tired and weary all day.

• magnetosphere@fedia.io
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Emphasis on “some”. I used to work at a hotel. When people arrived at 11 AM expecting to check in, I had no problem making them wait in the lobby. I was polite about it, of course, but also firm.

Our housekeeping staff worked harder than anyone else in the building. I wasn’t about to give them a hard time on behalf of some ignorant, inconsiderate people.

• hddsx@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Oh you mean they just arrive early? Usually when I need an early or late check in I’ll ask the hotel beforehand. They can usually accommodate with early notice. If they can’t, I usually book elsewhere if on business, or plan around it on pleasure

• trolololol@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Agree with your principles but I have questions on details

If there’s several rooms to clean and assuming good planning the last rooms will be ready by 3pm. However the first rooms will be ready by noon or earlier.

I’m not saying customers deserve it, but the math says it’s possible for the poor guy on a 20h connection that arrived at 6am.

• magnetosphere@fedia.io
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

You’re totally correct. I’m thinking of instances when we were fully booked the night before, AND the guests who wanted an unannounced early check-in had reserved a specific type of room we didn’t have many of to begin with.

If we didn’t know not to allow late check-outs for those rooms, and housekeeping didn’t know to keep an eye out for any departures from those rooms, we could run into problems.

I was always happy to help people out when I could. Getting positive feedback from guests was the best part of my job!