• Shialac@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I never get this argument of US Americans against public transport. Even in europe most public transport happens within one city, I don’t regulary drive to another country

• DelightfullyDivisive@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I think most Americans like the idea of public transport, and including a robust national rail network. The reason it doesn’t exist are the oil and automotive lobbies. (Mostly oil.). Poorly educated Americans (the ones wearing MAGA hats) are easy to manipulate by these groups, as well.

• Ragnarok314159@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

The MAGA people rarely travel outside of their county and think going to Applebees in the nearest college town of 5,000 is going to the big city. Why they hate it.

They act like it their tax dollars when in fact most of them don’t work and sit around in their Methlandia towns on fake fibromyalgia disability claims.

• moon@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m genuinely curious if people actually use the phrase ‘US Americans’, or if it’s a reference to that Miss Teen USA contestant rambling about world peace

• Thalfon@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I spent a few months in Germany years ago, and “Americans” (Amerikaner) tended to be used to refer to people from the Americas (either NA specifically or NA and SA collectively) in my experience. If you wanted to say someone was from the US, you’d say something more like “aus den USA.”

• John_McMurray@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Not in generally English speaking countries, though you will occasionally hear second language English people use it.

• StaySquared@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Americans don’t generally have a negative thing to say about public transportation. Americans, however, prefer to drive their own vehicle for many reasons. For one, being independent, not relying on a schedule. Not worrying about missing their transportation and catching a later one, then being late to the arrival of their destination.

I don’t know where you live, but in the big cities of the U.S., public transportation… isn’t exactly hygienic. You will smell urine. You will encounter chitty people. You will be spending time reading all the random chit people write/scratch onto the walls and glass. You will sit on uncomfortable chairs, might even touch someone’s chewed up gum by accident.

I’ve seen some chit both in city busses and trains but this was in Chicago and some parts of NY. Never would I ever want to live that life. Ever.

Seriously.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Know how to fix those problems?

More funding

Never been on a public transport that smelled of urine in Belgium. It is obviously possible.

• Someonelol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

More funding doesn’t necessarily work in this situation. There’s a big stigma about public transportation in the US where if you take it you’re seen as unsuccessful and poor. It’s also perceived as something like government intrusion whenever infrastructure is built to support it. Minorities would resist any kind of building of rail along their property because they were previously screwed over when several black and poor neighborhoods were bulldozed for the sake of placing freeways. Rich people simply lobby the government to stop construction or hold back on selling their property because they want to gouge them for all they’re worth and sap the project’s funds.

The solution of course would be a bigger willingness for the government to use eminent domain laws to force these projects through but because of the short term nature of their precarious elected positions, officials would rarely do that lest they get voted out in the next election cycle and the project simply stalls out. There’s been some success with private companies building rail, like Brightline, because building public infrastructure in a capitalist way seems to be accepted more by the public thanks to our conditioning of loving the free market.

• StaySquared@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

That’s because on average, people in Belgium are more civilized than Americans. Do you have homelessness problems in your nation? No? We do. Yes? Do your homeless literally pull their pants down in broad daylight and take a chit on the sidewalk for everyone to see without a single fk given? Bet you don’t. We do.

I bet in your college towns and cities, if you have parking garages, you don’t have urine and or chit in the elevators and or staircase… we do.

You see… in our nation, we truly have the chittiest of chitty people overall, mainly in large cities. They are chitty in many chitty different ways. And we have to share public everything with these chitty people. So yeah, unfortunately, public transportation is going to be chitty on average, day in and day out.

• Agrivar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Did you know, on the internet you are allowed to actually type out swears? You don’t have to act like a child and write “chit” everywhere instead of “shit,” we all know what you mean.

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

For one, being independent, not relying on a schedule. Not worrying about missing their transportation and catching a later one, then being late to the arrival of their destination.

This is my big problem with public transport. It might be an issue of funding, but this sort of scheduling gives me a huge amount of anxiety. I would rather drive and know that I can leave when I want, and that any delays won’t be a problem, than to worry about the making it to somewhere at a specific time lest I miss my bus/train/plane.

And the more modes of public transit we add to the journey the worse my anxiety. If any of those connections is delayed or late I have no control and will miss the next leg of my journey, which will push all the other steps around and suddenly I have to get a hotel or something because there’s no way to get to where I’m going until the next day.

At least if I’m caught in traffic I can try to route around it, or I can leave a earlier or later to avoid it, and the person who’s affected by these delays is the one who has some power over mitigating them. If it ends up that I’m driving overnight I can pull over and sleep in my car for a bit and then keep going.

• WFH@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

My ADHD brain panics if I need to catch a scheduled train and if I’m not actually there at least 1/4h in advance I melt into a puddle of anxiety.

But city trams and metros are absolutely fine. If I don’t catch this one, there’s gonna be another one in a few minutes. No worries.

Busses that are scheduled every half hour at most drive me mad tho. Did I miss it because it was 10 mins early because fuck schedules or is it gonna be 15 mins late?