Just five weeks after being legislated, Roger Cook announces the WA government will be scrapping its Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Laws which he says caused ‘division’ and ‘confusion’ in the community.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Mr Cook denied there had been any pressure exerted by the federal government to repeal the laws, amid speculation that confusion surrounding the act was muddying the waters around the Voice referendum.

However, Federal Opposition Leader Peter Dutton continued to try to link the issues today while praising the decision to rescind the law, which he said had been “imposed in an ideological way.”

Continuing to sell the backflip as a result of the government listening to the community, Aboriginal Affairs Minister Tony Buti reiterated the intention was to avoid another incident like Juukan Gorge.

“We wanted to provide legislation equipped with greater certainty and protection for Aboriginal cultural heritage, but unfortunately it did not deliver the clarity and security that we desired,” he said.

Addressing a rally of hundreds of farmers on the steps of Parliament House, opposition leader Shane Love said the government’s backdown was a “great testament to people power” over a “failed act”.

On Saturday the Puutu Kunti Kurrama and Pinikura Aboriginal Corporation, native title holders for the Juukan Gorge, said they felt “betrayed” by the government’s plans to revert to the previous act.

I’m a bot and I’m open source!