With every new App published on IOS I wonder again how the financing works. Just through donations, or do you “take one for the team”?

• Cr4yfish@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

uhhh… I guess so?

My point was that Sync is overpriced, not that devs couldn’t demand money for their work, of course.

Again, this is only from what I heard, since I didn’t use Sync during Reddit times but apparently it was cheaper back then, so he raised the price for switching from Reddit to Lemmy - which I think is overcharging.

Of course it’s more than changing some URL, but it’s less work than actually making it from ground up - for which he used to charge less.

You see my point? Of course you may disagree with me, but I don’t think my point is so outragous that it calls for “insults” (?).

• ChaosAD@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I was going more for the meme then for insulting, sorry. The main problem is the API is very different between the platforms, for what I’ve seen I don’t think this is a trivial task. Also there is a lot more to deal with than when he was developing for reddit, his app account for federation problem/features that aren’t implemented in any other app yet.

Me personally still prefer Jerboa, but I think the Sync dev deserve credit for his work, and how much he thinks he should charge is subjective.

As long as this money isn’t going to a big corp this is fine. Also he brought many to the fediverse with his action.

• Cr4yfish@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

When I say it’s a lot less work than making an app from scratch I’m mainly thinking about the UI/UX design which only had to be adjusted in Sync’s case. I do lots of UI design for private projects and work, so I know that it’s a big part of the workload.

his app account for federation problem/features that aren’t implemented in any other app yet

What do you mean? I’m no Sync expert but I did test out the app and didn’t notice any special features. I’m especially interested in instance related tech since that’s kinda the USP of my own App, Nemmy.