Can’t download Librewolf in Arch Linux + KDE Plasma 6

I’m trying to download it from AUR but it gives me error about gpg and closed DNS. Can’t import the keys.

• lemmyreader@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Can’t import the keys.

You mean the one mentioned in the Pinned Comments for librewolf-bin in AUR ?

• bitahcold@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

No, just cant import the keys. I tried for librewolf-bin and librewolf but it only says gpg: keyserver receive failed: DNS bla bla (I just typed it from my head but it was something like that). It gave DNS error but don’t remember it. But I fixed it by using Discover app from KDE.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I checked but not totally understood as a newbie… I fixed it using Discover app from KDE. But thanks for helping. Goodbye.

• ogeist@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I wonder what Discover installed, probably a Flatpak. You should check just to know as there are pros and cons of using Flatpaks, AppImages, etc. over a system application.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

There was Arch Linux option and Flatpak option for Discover to download Librewolf. But the Arch Linux option was unable to click (I think its the same problem), so I used the Flatpak one. I have downloaded some apps from Flatpak too, what are its major cons? I didn’t know about the package installers differences, but I will research for it. Thanks for important info. So, what you think about the gpg problem about DNS? Some forum says its because the Tor connection but I have nothing about it. What should I do?

• lemmyreader@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

Arch Linux documentation will warn you about AUR. Other people will warn you about snaps. Some other people will warn you about flatpaks. Same for AppImage.

In my opinion it is fine to use LibreWolf from Flatpak which btw gets a blue mark. Consider editing your post title and add [Solved].

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Idk is there any privacy or safety issues and looking for it. But the app is working as normal. Fast, all features included and getting updates normally. And should I do something about the editing the title or is it solved? Thanks for comment.

• lemmyreader@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

AUR appears to be quite popular but sometimes software is flagged out of date or it is dormant because the maintainer has no time any longer and new maintainers may come and go. Basically anyone can upload to AUR and there is no curation. Of course you can look at entries in the AUR and see when software was submitted for the first time and how many people have upvoted it but even that can give a false sense of security. The disclaimer at the AUR is clear : DISCLAIMER: AUR packages are user produced content. Any use of the provided files is at your own risk.

Flatpak has a drawback of pulling in more software that an application depends on (For example GNOME or KDE libraries) and someone has made a website https://flatkill.org of their bad experiences with Flatpak but that is from 2020. In the mean time there is Fedora Atomic desktop flavors depending on using Flatpak.

• ogeist@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I just installed the librewolf-bin without any issue. Did you updated your system with

pacman -Syu

I would ignore the DNS for now, unless you have a piHole or some other custom DNS service. If you want further help please copy the terminal messages when trying to install librewolf-bin and the gpg keys.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Yes, I did updates and I’m updating my system 3 days to 3 days. I tried all ways that is possible for me. Tried the bin version and normal version. Used yay too. I will delete Librewolf and try it again. Will add the error message. Thanks for your comment. Goodbye.