I have a collection of music in flac format and now I want to store them on my phone. flac files get too much space and downloading all the playlist in mp3 takes as much time as finding decent and real high quality flacs (there is plenty of songs on internet which only look like 320kbps and are not really high quality). So I decided to convert my flac files into mp3 and I prefer minimum amount of quality loss; what is the best software for it?

• Doesn’t matter if conversion take some time if the quality would be decent.
  • Beto@lemmy.studio
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

ffmpeg is written by Fabrice Bellard, who’s one of the most underrated programmers in the world (he also wrote QEMU). It’s probably the best tool out there, still actively maintained, and most commercial apps are probably using it under the hood for any kind of conversion.

• drwankingstein@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

better then virtual box, when comparing to vmware it has some wins and some losses, windows guests, vmware wins, linux guests qemu wins, assuming you dont need any more advanced features. in which qemu always wins

• Beto@lemmy.studio
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It depends on what you mean by better. Faster? More user friendly? More versatile?

• Nimous@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

If it has the performance it is better. If it doesn’t have professional features of vmware workstation like networking and settings, it’s not better.