• DogWater@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Commercial plane crashes /=/ plane crashes.

358 deaths due to plane crashes in 2022 in the US. Anon included cars so this “commercial” distinction doesn’t necessarily hold weight since the crux of the comparison is that other industries have been allowed to operate despite fatal accidents. And cars are included which are individually operated machines and not mass transit.

• spujb@lemmy.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

still no plane crash every day tho lol

i couldn’t find data including non-commercial crashes. i welcome corrections.

• JustAnotherRando@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

358 crashes in a year is close enough to an average of one per day that it’s pretty fucking pedantic to say "but not every day - especially given that most of the time that people say something happens “every day” it’s being used loosely, not literally.
        “People get shot by cops every day” is a phrase that is effectively accurate, even if nobody happened to be shot on, say, February 21st.

• spujb@lemmy.cafe
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

358 deaths due to crashes*, not the same as crashes themselves as multiple can die per crash

i came into this conversation with a light (pedantic) heart and an open mind. i am still willing to he corrected but cussing me out does nothing buddy.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Oh I wasn’t trying to cuss you out, sorry if it came off that way. It’s early and I usually filter out my language a bit before posting but I commonly use curse words for emphasis and stuff. I blame it on being a (former) sailor. And thanks, I may have misread that - that’s what I get for commenting before I even had gotten out of bed.

• spujb@lemmy.cafe
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

word up homie no hard feelings 😭 ppl get so mean on here sometimes it’s refreshing to see someone back down

have a lovely morning sailor ☕️ ☀️

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

You too! And this place could use a bit more chill for sure. People tend to forget the human on the other side of the conversation.

• spujb@lemmy.cafe
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  29 days ago

ok i now must admit i was wrong hehe 🥲🥲 roscoe elsewhere in this thread showed me my error. gg 🤝