I found this support forum post but the solution provided doesn’t work.

Edit (thanks to @moreeni@lemm.ee for the Stack Exchange link):

Solution - Go to Settings -> Home -> Enable Shortcuts -> Go to a new tab -> Google will be pinned by default, hover over the Google icon -> Click on the 3 dots menu -> Unpin

• Star@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yes, my default search engine is Ecosia.

I haven’t changed it manually though, I installed their extension and it changed the default; if this matters in any way.

• Lojcs@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

You can add ecosia without the extension, just open the website, click the url bar and it’ll be among the search engines with a plus on top. Clicking it adds it

• verassol@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Try removing Google from your search engines. If you still want it you can re-add it from search results (click address bar, a new search icon with a + should appear at the bottom) or Mycroft.

Also consider removing/dismissing Google from the new tab page. If you have disabled the option showing your most visited sites, enable it temporarily to remove Google and untick the “sponsored” option in the new tab cog icon on the top right.

• Star@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

This worked, thanks!

Solution: Go to Settings > Home > Enable Shortcuts > Go to a new tab > Google will be pinned by default, hover over the Google icon > Click on the 3 dots menu > Unpin

• Joël de Bruijn@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

If you wouldnt mind getting rid of Google search entirely … settings, search, select Google, remove. I assume there is nothing to pin after that?

• HubertManne@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

funny. I just don’t have this behavior. is it for a phone or it could be because I set my default search engine?

• Dippy@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I just made ecosia my default engine and it never trues to search from google

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

You use Youtube and GMail… I can recommend NoScript and “temporary container” to keep things isolated.

The containers persist until you close the tab. Or use containers manually for Google stuff.

• boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Context: if you dont block Google (and tons of other) Javascript and dont isolate cookies, Google already knows a lot about what you are doing. So you could also just use their search pretty much.

But if you block their javascript through an “allowlist” approach using NoScript, they cant place cookies or tracking pixels and you get a huge advantage