My primary argument is that they post hateful content and covid conspiracies and it is irresponsible to platform this by including it in our federation. Secondly we already got rid of lemmygrad. Thirdly, there’s little to be lost in the defederation given the type of stuff being posted over there. Do as thou wilt

Aye and nays pls

Edit: putting the screencaps I posted below here for clarity

I should probably put a content warning so

CW: homophobia, transphobia, and just being a shithead.

• Gone Quill@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Aye, and here’s why. Exploding heads are not coming into our space and having discussions in good faith. They are acting as a troll farm and being abusive toward our members, and generally not following the rules of the road laid out for our instance. “Beehaw defederated us and I didn’t like it” isn’t a valid argument as this is a different situation. Beehaw defederated from here because they couldn’t deal with the scale of moderating all the traffic coming from here which including abusive troll accounts. Exploding Heads is going by the alt right playbook and is almost exclusively being abusive, even if it’s a small number of people.

And it is noticable. I see some people arguing that individuals who don’t like that instance should just block it themselves, but that’s not an available function of the threadiverse yet. You’re saying that our server at large should endure abuse coming from that server because someday the functionality may be implemented for individuals to handle it themselves. I don’t think this is a good moderation strategy and will only allow abusive actors to find foothold.