• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

What happened if… purely hypothetically… China develops competitive chip fabrication plants that exports at scales rivalrious to Taiwan.

And then fear of an invasion provokes detonation of Taiwan’s own facilities.

Wouldn’t this turn China into a domestically source monopoly of high end chips?

• nandeEbisu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

It’s easier said than done. A few key pieces took decades to figure out and even now many can only be produced by one or two companies, like ASML.

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Marketing terms mean nothing. SMIC’s nodes are nowhere near the real transistor density of TSMC’s or even Intel’s.

But what’s worse than that are the yields. I don’t believe we have public numbers on their newest node yet, but their self-reported yields on their “7nm” process as of late 2022 was a pathetic 10-15%. TSMC’s 7nm yield (and you should remember that TSMC’s 7nm is vastly superior to SMIC’s) was getting over 70% yield when it was in pre-production trialing.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

The Chinese firms are end running US sanctions with improved technologies and your response seems to be “But their chips aren’t as good so it doesn’t count”.

Nevermind the rapid pace of development or the fact that only TSMC and Samsung seems capable of matching it.

The idea that Chinese manufacturers need Taiwan is demonstrably false.

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

No, I was dismissing your assertion that Chinese fab companies are at the same level, or ahead of, TSMC. The truth is they aren’t even close. This is something that even China themselves openly admit.

That’s a second time you’ve strawmanned me. I don’t appreciate words being put in my mouth.

Samsung? I’m sorry, are you keeping up with the industry at all? Samsung isn’t matching shit. They’re a node behind Intel and 2.5 behind TSMC. What development are they matching?

And yes, a multitude of Chinese manufacturers do need Taiwan. China in general does. Will that be true in the far future? Who knows. But it’s certainly true now and in the short term.

• KillingTimeItself@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

well for one, it would take probably 10 or 20 years to get to that point in chinas domestic manufacturing. As well as geopolitical situation.

They would have very little reason to invade taiwan at that point. So they probably wouldn’t.

And to foil your plan a little bit, the US has spent billions of dollars in recent years constructing new TSMC and i believe intel fabs in america, there’s a big one in arizona. And idk where the other one is off the top of my head. But we’re already chinas biggest competition in that regard.

• ItsMeSpez@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

They would have very little reason to invade taiwan at that point. So they probably wouldn’t.

Not about actually needing a reason to invade, it’s about the implication

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

i guess but even then it would still have massive political implications, including the US, which is incredibly messy. And taiwan itself wouldn’t be very happy about it.

Extrinsic factors are the most important ones for this kind of stuff, it’s why the vietnam war failed for us.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Israel grants Intel $3.2 billion for new $25 billion chip plant

But Intel has long since fallen behind the pack of semiconductor manufacturers. If they could just do their own Taiwanese foundry, they’d have done it by now and reaped comparable boosts in revenue.

As it stands, China is the majority manufacturer of semiconductors - responsible for more than half of all chips produced - because they’re building foundries far faster and at higher quality than their American peers at Intel.

Taiwan is the only country keeping pace with China. Losing them would only strengthen the Chinese export market.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

As it stands, China is the majority manufacturer of semiconductors - responsible for more than half of all chips produced - because they’re building foundries far faster and at higher quality than their American peers at Intel.

the reason why they produce half of all semi conductors, probably has more to do with the type of semi conductors they produce, mainly IC chips. As opposed to things like CPUs and GPUs, they’ve only recently started getting into that space. The intels and TSMCs of the world produce highly optimized designs and fab processes specifically for things like CPUs and GPUs.

A chip with 8 and gates on it is probably vastly easier to produce than an 8088 cpu, for example.

• Defaced@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

They already are, Intel is building new foundries in NA with government funding specifically for the purpose of not relying on Taiwan for chips. The problem though is TSMC has the smallest and most efficient chip dies, so everyone wants those chips, Intel still has a ways to catch up.