• mctoasterson@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Yeah it’s nice to know I have to build a new machine next year whether I want to or not. I’ve been coasting on a desktop PC I built circa 2015 because the thing works still. Problem is it doesn’t meet the hardware reqs (TPM 2.0) to upgrade to Win 11.

Whether I build a machine in 2025 or not I think I will be making the switch to daily driving Linux. I am sick of the amount of time the end user has to spend debloating Windows and blocking its telemetry.

• Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Because theres no need to buy new hardware until then and the planned parts might get cheaper or a new deal is offered.

For example my planned motherboard was on sale with a local seller because they opened a new location and offered a 20% discount on Asus parts.

• intoverflow@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

You can bypass the TPM 2.0 requirements by pulling in your Windows 11 ISO into Rufus and then selecting to remove the TPM requirement in the prompt.
      Drawback is when updating to new major releases of win11 (so I’ve heard) that you have to edit the registry.

Just going Linux is way cleaner.

• qaz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I suggest slowly switching to cross platform apps so you don’t find out an app you’re using daily won’t work after moving to Linux.

• barsquid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Are there TPM modules that one can drop in to motherboards to add that? I have TPM module headers, I keep wondering if I can get one to use with LUKS.

I think switching to Linux is the right choice regardless though.

• Chev@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Their hardware requirents don’t make sense at all. I’ve built my new PC last summer with the best AMD tech available and I don’t meet the requirements for some reason.