Corn is finally peeking out, but something has been digging it up and chomping seedlings, too. I shotgunned it, so I can afford the losses. More stuff in a comment to follow

• ThrowawaySobriquet@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The peas are going gangbusters. Can’t wait to see those guys popping off

Taters are coming along nicely, too. Bout half past time to add some straw

My leftover seed exchange red onions are killing it. I wonder how well they’ll go with the hugel being so bleh, so we’ll see

Kale and broccoli coming up nicely. Bush beans starting to really take off. Peppers are kinda finding their footing. Onions and garlic in the back bed are struggling a little bit, but I should get something out of it.

Tomatoes are loving the weather we been having. I can’t wait for some fresh tomatoes

My fig is just looking fuckin gorgeous these days. Not bad for an impulse purchase from the clearance rack

And finally, the mulberry! I got a cutting from an event at a park near me and I put it down the same day. Of course the ferals had to fuck with it, so I was worried it wasn’t gonna make it but here we are!

• Krackalot
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I don’t know how deep your buckets are, but after three years of growing sweet potatoes, I found out they’ll grow down 24"-36" . So a deep bed is best.

• ThrowawaySobriquet@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

That’s actually just a section of cattle fencing with some landscaping fabric around the bottom to hold in my growing medium (3:1 compost/native soil). Kind of a raised bed/cage situation

I got decent results last year in tubs, but there were some drainage issues. I’m hoping, as you said, going bottomless gives me more room to stretch and won’t give a a bunch of rotten potatoes