So I started my coding journey with Python about 2 years ago. I primarily used IDLE which was super bare bones but was perfect for my needs.

I’m now toying around with Javascript with eventual aspirations to learn C# and maybe something else (Golang maybe, C++ is intimidating). I completed codecademy.com’s course on Javascript, have been running through some algo training on codewars, been playing a little BitBurner, but now I want to actually try to develop my own stuff.

Looks like Visual Studio has an environment that supports Javascript, Python, and C# in one place. How is it? What are some of the positives and negatives of choosing to use Visual Studio moving forward?

• Calcharger@kbin.socialOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Thanks for your input. I took it for a test drive (VS Community) and it seemed ok, took a little fussing to get it to recognize that I already had Python installed. My confusing bit right now is that I have closed a .py file, a, working on a different one, but when I hit run it runs the previous script so I must have something screwed up.

I’ll check out vscode.

• Invalid@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Yeah, that behavior is probably a holdover from how it handles running C#, C++, etc projects. Right click on the file you want to run in Solution Explorer and you should see an option to “Set as Startup Item”. The current startup item will be indicated in bold text.