So I started my coding journey with Python about 2 years ago. I primarily used IDLE which was super bare bones but was perfect for my needs.

I’m now toying around with Javascript with eventual aspirations to learn C# and maybe something else (Golang maybe, C++ is intimidating). I completed codecademy.com’s course on Javascript, have been running through some algo training on codewars, been playing a little BitBurner, but now I want to actually try to develop my own stuff.

Looks like Visual Studio has an environment that supports Javascript, Python, and C# in one place. How is it? What are some of the positives and negatives of choosing to use Visual Studio moving forward?

• IntergalacticTowel@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Microsoft has always been terrible at naming things, sometimes I think someone’s having a giggle. Just look at the Xbox line.

• Xbox
    • Xbox 360
    • Xbox One
    • Xbox Series X
    • Xbox Series S

And for Unity/Unreal Engine, Jetbrains Rider is a great IDE (though not free like VS Community).

• TerryMcGinniss@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Your list was only the surface of the stupidity of the Xbox model naming nightmare, here is a more comprehensive list:

• Xbox
      • Xbox 360
      • Xbox 360 Arcade
      • Xbox 360 Elite
      • Xbox 360 S
      • Xbox 360 E
      • Xbox One
      • Xbox One Elite
      • Xbox One S
      • Xbox One X
      • Xbox One S All-Digital Edition
      • Xbox Series X