• AndreTelevise@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

People, if an instance is crumbling, sign up to another instance! When you are able to use lemmy.world again, use lemmy2opml/lemmy_migrate (or any other tool that works, there’s a list on the Awesome Lemmy Github page) to migrate your followed communities to the new instance.

• AbsolutelyNotABot@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I don’t think the problem is much on the identification side, but on the communities one

Like, I can’t access any community on .world while the instance is down

• lutillian@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

You actually can, you just append @lemmy.world to the community name when accessing from another instance that’s federated with lemmy.world and once lemmy.world comes back up your contributions will be there. Any instance that’s federated with the instance your posting from will be able to participate in the discussion with you for that matter. The only thing you can’t do with a community when the host instance is down is subscribe to it. It would still get added to your subscriptions though if you try, the hosting insurance just won’t know until it comes back up and eats through the outboxes of federated instances to “catch up”.

Edit When it does come back up it’ll also get any messages that are in federated outboxes as well so your posts will ultimately show up on the host instance, just posted by your alt account

• kameecoding@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

wait so how does this work on a technical level?

say I am part of a community of /c/weirdstuff that’s on lemmy.world.

if lemmy world is down how do my comments get to lemmy.world? are they stored on whatever instance I am registered on and then synced to lemmy.world once it’s up?

• AbsolutelyNotABot@feddit.it
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  11 months ago

Ok but the question that arise is:" if the community is duplicated on every server that access it, isn’t it a little bit of a waste of computational power and disk space ?"

Expecially considering now Lemmy is pretty small, but in the future you could hopefully have a much larger audience

• wesley@yall.theatl.social
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

Well in a way yes but that’s how the federation/decentralization works. It’s like with email everyone gets a copy and if a message doesn’t go through to someone it can be redelivered.

Centralized services are usually more efficient than decentralized but that’s not the primary goal of the fediverse

• 🇵🇸 Free Palestine 🇵🇸@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

Ok but how other people will know I replied to a comment or posted if the community on the original server is down?

Not sure if other instances can communicate between them to get updated before the original server is up again and everything gets updated.