• Nurse_Robot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Wow, the film makers Heineman and McNally are total pieces of shit. They were warned several times that people would be killed if they didn’t blur their faces. Heineman and McNally said it would be fine, then said no one ever warned them, then said it’s normal to show faces, then said it’s really the governments fault, not theirs.

Heineman and McNally are responsible for this person’s death, and are too cowardly to admit it.

• Smoogs@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yup that’s how you never ever get future work as all potential victims are gonna be too scared now to come forth for any kind of reveal. They didn’t deserve an award for just manipulating and then outing vulnerable people.

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I’m not Muslim, but I have a couple (well, two) friends who are, and they talk about Jihad like their struggle to be a better person. Like quitting booze or pop.

I won’t pretend to know all the intricacies, but I know for a fact that it isn’t just about terrorism.

• Klear@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I wouldn’t call them “jihadists” though. I feel like that implies a pretty high degree of fanaticism.

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

I did some searching and I can see that. The Wikipedia page is pretty clear on the distinction between Jihadists and jihad. I wasn’t aware that that the former is so closely associated with violence/aggression/domination

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Yeah, the English phrase would be like “following God’s light”

Anyone living life by their book can be considered a jihadist, though in Islam it’s reserved for monotheists

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

The guy was crazy for appearing in the documentary without a mask in the first place.

Did he really think the empire trying to subjugate his people was going to protect him once he outlived his usefulness?

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Maybe the empire that invaded his country should have done more to protect him once he outlived their usefulness.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Why would you expect such an empire to help him once he was of no further use?

Like if they wanted to help people like him, they wouldn’t be there in the first place, let alone funding the very worst warlords, protecting the drug trade, locking people up in blacksites and torturing them, protecting Blackwater and others from prosecution for their crimes, etc.

You have to be really, really fucking evil for people to support the Taliban over you.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I expect everyone to get the people who help them into a safe place. Sadly, my expectations are usually not realized.

• neo@lemy.lol
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Did the film makers advised him to wear a mask and did he actively decide not to?

Otherwise, I tend to blame the film makers still, at least partly.

• seth@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

A scorpion is not a dogshit human being who makes conscious decisions to kill other human beings.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

The point is that it has predictable behavior.

You can look at every military action the US has taken since WWII to see the same behavior.

I am not excusing the US’s behavior, I’m just saying it’s wild that he could look at Bagram and the black sites or the weddings, hospitals, and ambulances the Americans bombed, and not see the only difference between him and the other victims is that he is currently useful.