• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

It’s not the tech itself that worries me. It’s who in this case is supplying it along with the fact the previous patient had 85% of the functionality just stop and they haven’t done a damn thing to address that before they want to try it on another patient.

There are other companies working on the same or similar tech that are far less fucked up.

• Grimy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Arbaugh says that updates to the chip’s software have allowed him to regain many of the abilities that he previously had and that he is still very supportive of Neuralink and what it’s done for him.

They did try to fix the problem the best they could. Its also a very intense procedure so I doubt it’s smart to go back after so little time. It’s probably better to wait until they fix all the kinks anyways. The man did enough, he doesn’t need to be a debug guinea pig with his head open every month imo.

I’d actually be mad if they used the same guy tbh.

I also think it’s important to seperate the tech from the persona. There’s a lot of smart people behind this and I think it’s sci-fi as fuck.

• Strykker@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Look we all hate Elon and how neuralink is developing their tech that’s not in question here.

People are taking issue with your referring to desperate people with very very poor quality of life due to injuries or medical conditions as “brain dead”

They aren’t “brain dead”, dumb or stupid, they are reaching for what looks like the only potential light in their life. A life that is probably impossibly difficult for any of us typically healthy people to imagine.