I’m starting my degoogling journey (mostly looking into the various options at hand) and I was wondering what hood alternatives to Goohle Photos is there? I’m specifically wondering about a service that would double both as a cloud storage and a gallery with a timeline and such. But currently it’s only cloud storage backup (or Instagtam-likes, which is bot something I want) as far as I can tell?

• Matt@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I have been using ente for around two years now and it has been working well. It’s not perfect, but has been improving quickly. Your photos are end-to-end encrypted so you are the only one who can access them. The app is also open source and available on F-Droid which is awesome. The prices aren’t the best, but privacy isn’t free. You either need to pay for it, or put the time and effort into hosting it yourself like Immich or Nextcloud. Ente does have a 1 year free trial with 1GB of storage to test it out.

Edit: After rereading your post, I saw you wanted general cloud storage as well. Maybe give Filen a try. It is also end-to-end encrypted and open source. It doesn’t have any photo specific features like albums since it is a generic cloud storage service, but it does have a photos tab to view your uploaded photos.

• illi@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Ente seems almost perfect on first sight, thanks for that! Will look into it more.