So I know the accepted practice for cold brew is to do a coarse grind, and to brew somewhere between 8-24 hours depending on whether you’re doing it at room temperature or in the fridge.

But is this really necessary? Could I just use a finer grind and brew for less time? I’m asking because when you grind coarse, you end up having to use a lot more coffee beans (mass) than you would for the equivalent volume of any other type of coffee.

For context, I’m using a coffee sock which is just a glorified reusable coffee filter, so I don’t think that grind size is going to impact filtration that much.

• OhNoMoreLemmy@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

You can use a suis vide and make it in 2 hours instead.

The whole volume/coffee mass trade-off is a bit misleading. Espresso has a much higher ratio, and cold brew is by taste and strength somewhere between filter coffee and espresso. Mixing cold brew half and half with sparkling water is a nice way to bulk it out if you want a greater volume of coffee.

• TnSb@lemmy.beckmeyer.usOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Oh good, now I just need to acquire a suis vide :)

I do generally mix the cold brew half and half with filtered water. I do have to say, I love sparkling water of all kinds, but I tried this with sparkling water and was not a fan, haha.

• jochem@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Can you tell me more about doing it sous vide? I have a sous vide stick that I rarely use and would love to have a use for it!