With the recent password sharing crackdown, I decided to ditch my Netflix subscription and try piracy. What I miss about Netflix is scrolling through content and finding something to watch. With piracy I need to know exactly what I am looking for.

So I am wondering if it’s possible to have a Netflix like GUI but powered by piracy? And as this is the pirate world, it shows shows and movies not just from Netflix but also from the other streaming services? And finally it is available on TVs ( Samsung tizen in my case). Something like this would be the best case scenario. Wondering if someone has a similar setup?

• Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

What you need is Jellyfin, around 2-5TB (depending on your quality) and access to a private torrent tracker, usenet or DDL site.
    Then you can stuff like this:

• pdqcp@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Are you able to filter it by language? My parents are old, and they did not have a chance to learn any other language like English

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You could create different libraries for different languages.
        Also helps with auto metadata fetching.

• merthyr1831@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Sonarr and Radarr can be configured to only download torrents available in your chosen language.

• chimmy_chongaOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This is a cool setup. But torrents in Europe? Too many horror stories.

• merthyr1831@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Kind of luck based but you can read up online on how to get into private trackers. Some have open registrations which will get posted to places like here. Some are invite-only.

But Prowlarr lets you add a bunch of public trackers to cover most new stuff. I find that private trackers are better as archives for less popular stuff.

• Diffuser5593@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Use usenet over torrents. You’re downloading the files from a server rather than peer to peer so you avoid the issue of not having any seeders. There is usually a fee associated with registering with a usenet provider and indexer, however, you can sometimes get a free trial or a limited number of “grabs” per day to test it out.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Earlier you could find temporary open trackers on r/opensignups
        Now it’s a bit more difficult.
        Torrentleech is a good beginner tracker. Usually opens around Eastern, Summer, Black Friday or Christmas.

You could aso search “open signups torrent” online and try to find something with enough content.