• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Fascist regimes don’t last long because they all eventually turn their violence inward. They breed the sort of mistrust and lack of questioning that don’t make them effective societies.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Tell that to Cuba, Venezuela, Russia, Zimbabwe, China and North Korea, which have been authoritarian for decades now. I’m sorry, what does “lasting long” mean?

• Billiam@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

You are aware that there are more types of authoritarian governments than just “fascism,” right?

• El Barto@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

“No, not like that…!!!”

Well, you’re just moving the goal post.

Fascist regimes don’t last long because they all eventually turn their violence inward.

Where in that sentence is implied that the countries I mentioned should be excluded?

• GojuRyu@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            29 days ago

Fascist regimes

^ Right here is where they specified that they weren’t talking about all authoritarian societies but a subset.
            If you want to argue that your list is all fascist countries then do that, but they did not move any goalposts by correcting you after giving what you labeled authoritarian countries instead of fascist ones specifically.

• GojuRyu@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                28 days ago

The fact that me pointing out why your accusing someone else of moving the goalpost isn’t true and a mistake on your part is met by you immediately trying to make me disprove a claim you haven’t even made explicitly yet, makes me think this will go nowhere regardless of anything I might say.
                Will you acknowledge your mistake and move forward? If so I’m open to discussing it further, but if you continue to avoid the points made as if to never acknowledge when you are wrong then I’m not going to bother.

• El Barto@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  28 days ago

I think you’re seeing my question as confrontional, thinking that I will continue rebutting for the sake of rebutting.

I took a step back. Take one step back too. I’m willing to be corrected. I’m willing to question my reasoning.

But I can’t just say “oh sorry” without seeing the whole picture.

Now, could you please answer the question? It was a genuine one. Don’t be like the other one who said “ooh hoo u not worth it” when I was already open for a genuine exchange.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Real smart of you to change what we’re talking about in the reply. That’s a classic move to make yourself seem like you made a point.

• pearable@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Would Franco’s Spain and Pinoche’s Argentina somewhat contradict that assertion? They both lasted a good long time before there was a slow transition away from their regimes from what I remember.