• snazzles@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Is there not a lot of conflicting evidence for, not keto specifically, but the role of fats and saturated fats (I believe the most concerning aspects of keto) in health? I did a bit of research before going on it and I think came to the conclusion it wasn’t really backed as healthy nor unhealthy but couldn’t be worse than eating garbage instead.

I’ll be sure to check out the vegetarian / vegan keto subreddits though! Might find some nice meals ideas.

• usernamesAreTricky@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Reading through some more scientific reviews article, it seems like a lot of the risk comes from animal-based product consumption particularly. For instance, one study found increased all-cause mortality for keto with higher animal product consumption and decreased levels for a plant-based keto diet. However, given that most studies aren’t focusing on that, it’s still hard to tell if there’s other risks not being included there. Additionally, a lot of the touted benefits of keto appear to wane over time and don’t end up doing all that much better than other diets

I’d still recommend just being careful about it

Longer-term effects [of Ketogenic diets] can include decreased bone mineral density, nephrolithiasis, cardiomyopathy, anemia, and neuropathy of the optic nerve (82, 121). Ketogenic diets have low long-term tolerability, and are not sustainable for many individuals (48, 49). Diets low in carbohydrate have also been associated with an increased risk of all-cause mortality (122), although recent data suggest that lower-carbohydrate diets can be linked to either higher or lower mortality risk, depending on the quality of the carbohydrate they contain and whether they rely more on animal protein and saturated fat or plant protein and unsaturated fat, respectively (123).

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2021.702802/full#h1

Unfortunately, these effects seem to be limited in time.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/5/517?d=40&cgid=9aS3