Im too young to remember pre-crisis age (before 2008) so I dont know if its new “normal” on market. Its a scheme that takes advantage of rapidly changing prices of everything.

Typical cycle Im talking about:

1. Shop prices good at market price.
  2. *severe crisis*
  3. Market price rises to historic level never seen before
  4. Shop adjusts price to market level
  5. *crisis ends*
  6. Market price drops to normal
  7. Shop: OMFG -60% DISCOUNT!!!
  8. Any news site these days spams “articles” how every shop has same discounted item from any brand

This rages me. Worst thing is politicians use the same pattern. When war in Ukraine will end is unknown, but certain is that politicians that will be ruling will say cheap gas is their credit. Then they will point at party that was ruling before them and say “Look at these bastards, THEY made gas expensive and WE made it cheap”.

Same situation when games sequel is released. They advertise sequel, wait till people see its moneygrab and forget about. People forget and shops sell previous version at huge discount.

• Maharashtra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m with you.

Add:

• “crisis is coming, you will absolutely need product x, even though you barely use it, because it will soon disappear from the shelves”
    • people overbuy product x
    • price inflation, adjacent products are affected too
    • long lines and chaos in otherwise dull markets
    • BAM! it turns out the shortage was created purely by scare-tactic guerilla marketing

And it involves:

• “journalists” produce fear, scare, hate, fake news
    • they never get gallows, even though their lying, toxic language actually KILLS people