• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Houthis are to Yemen what Hamas is to Palestine

A fundamentalist sect that needs to be purged for the greater society they parasitically latched onto to be able to even have a chance at prosperity.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

And, like Hamas, the primary actor interested in purging them isn’t much better than they are.

Talk about a shitshow.

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Takes scum to know scum it seems, or maybe it’s the proxy war that Iran and KSA have been roiling the region with that involves them not being able to agree on anything except “Not a democracy.”

• Oofnik@kbin.earth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Thank you!!! It’s like people can’t keep two thoughts in their head at once.

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

MAn I’ve been served some shit on this site for calling out the houthis for shooting at civilians.

Like, Israel shooting at civilians is wrong. Hamas too. Anyone.

• pearable@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    30 days ago

The frustrating thing is both Hamas and the Houtis are as powerful as they are because of the massive suppression of alternatives by the various powers at play in their respective conflicts.

Israel picked Hamas to be it’s enemy. They suppressed the alternatives and funded Hamas.

In Yemen the government in the North and the Saudis are much more interested in fighting the Houtis than allowing the pro democratic forces to become ascendant.

This whole situation is the fault of US allies.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      30 days ago

In Yemen the government in the North and the Saudis are much more interested in fighting the Houtis than allowing the pro democratic forces to become ascendant.

Which pro-democratic forces are those, again?

• nyctre@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      30 days ago

You had me in the first half. Then you pissed all over it by blaming “eu allies” instead of the actual ones at fault. Saudis, Israel, conservativism, etc. Edit: meant us allies, not eu

• pearable@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        30 days ago

You might reread my last sentence, I didn’t say anything about the EU.

The amount of material the US supplies to both Israel and the Saudis amounts to complicity. The tendency for the US to covertly cause coups throughout the world goes beyond complicity. The resulting government are almost always authoritarian and always support US economic interest. If Israel and the Saudis weren’t there to serve the US’s interests they would install someone who would.

I wish it was a simple issue of conservatism in the states causing this problem but is seems to be nonpartisan.

• blahsay@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

That’d definitely describe hamas too.

Haven’t heard about their thoughts on the baha’is but it’s not hard to guess

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Not disagreeing, just recently found out what semitic actually means and find it both hilarious and very alarming to call arabs “anti-semitic”.

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        29 days ago

Yes, EXACTLY, that’s why I called it “very alarming”, because the common meaning is becoming the polar opposite of it’s original meaning. Semitic used to refer to the people of the middle east, and now we’re changing the meaning to only include Jews (even worse in the context of Israel, where half the bloody population is from Europe). Calling any arab or palestine supporter anti-semitic, is like calling Ukrainians and Ukraine supporters anti-slav. The way it’s starting to be used is very aggressive and basically denies the right of the group to identify as their own people.

• Belastend@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

No.

Semites is an outdated racialized grouping of all dwellers of the middle. It was introduced in the 1700s and is completely outdated, because WE DO NOT USE RACIAL THEORIES ANYMORE. This name is also only based on the idea, that all middle eastern people have a biblical ancestor, Sem.

The only two modern uses are: The Family of Semitic languages which encompasses Arabic and Hebrew, but also Maltese, Amharic and Aramaic. And its these Semitic speaking peoples that are SOMETIMES, often in an archeological context, referred to as Semites.

The term antisemitism was first coined in 1860, as catch-all term for hatred of semites (once again, the ridiculous racial category grouping all middle eastern people into one). Wanna know when that changed? 10 years later. It was used in 1871 in Germany as sciency sounding name for Judenhass “Hatred of Jews”. We are not changing the meaning of antisemitism, the word has had this meaning for 150 years. And the only justification to reverse that is to pretend that either the racial categories of the old days exist, or that antisemitism somehow encompasses both the Maltese and Ethiopians.

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            26 days ago

Ok wow, actually looked it up… Wtf??? Why does semitic and anti-semitic have a completely different definition? Man fuck this shit… I admit I didn’t look into it enough before forming an option, but who the fuck would separately look up “something” and “anti-something”??? Once I found semitic it lead me down the semitic languages and the history and bla bla route, not the btw this word has a different meaning in its negative form. Wikipedia even has a whole section dedicated to just how bullshit this is.

Tho tbh it doesn’t really change my feelings about the word. It still comes across as extremely problematic to use. Honestly it just seems like 100x worse now that I know the origin is a literal nazi conspiracy theory that hijacked the word and both versions are floating around today. With this context, calling arabs anti-semitic is calling them literal nazis, which I’d argue is worse than just “anti self existence”.

And before I star sounding too dismissive, thanks for the info, twas surprisingly and eye opening.

• Belastend@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              23 days ago

I mean, arabs can also be nazis. I dont think the problem lies within the word or the usage, but the application. Because pretending criticism of Israel is antisemitic or “Judenhass”, whatever you wanna call it, thats the real problem.

The houthis are definitely word we can agree upon to mean hating jews. The fact that they are Arabs does not change this. So in the end, i find the discussion around the word very weird.

• SeattleRain@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        30 days ago

Bruh, your own source says it’s the Saudi backed militants (aka American proxies) that are stealing the aid. Not the Houthis.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          30 days ago

From my source:

The problem of lost and stolen aid is common in Taiz and other areas controlled by Yemen’s internationally recognized government, which is supported by the Saudi-led military coalition. It is even more widespread in territories controlled by the Houthi rebels, the struggling government’s main enemy during the nearly four years of warfare that has spawned the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

After the release of the AP’s investigation on Monday, the United Nations’ World Food Program for the first time directly accused the Houthi rebels of diverting aid. WFP director David Beasley said in a letter to the Houthis’ leader that if the rebels did not investigate and put an end to theft, the organization would suspend some assistance, potentially effecting nearly 3 million people.

If you aren’t going to read the source, why ask for them?

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            30 days ago

The people shooting at ships in the Red Sea that are the “Good Guys” aren’t supported by the Saudis. Man, western Intel is really sending out their funkies on Lemmy.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              30 days ago

The people shooting at ships in the Red Sea that are the “Good Guys” aren’t supported by the Saudis. Man, western Intel is really sending out their funkies on Lemmy.

Jesus Christ, you didn’t even read the excerpt I quoted.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                30 days ago

Oh, you’re right. But you don’t seem to be too concerned about Saudi proxies stealing aid so you’re Zionist shilling is still very transparent.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  30 days ago

Oh, you’re right. But you don’t seem to be too concerned about Saudi proxies stealing aid so you’re Zionist shilling is still very transparent.

Jesus Christ.

• electric_nan@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    30 days ago

Oh damn, have we tried bombing the fuck out of them? That is bound to lead to a more liberal society.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    30 days ago

Ah I see, so that’s why you’re trying to kill all the Palestinians. To stop the Houthis.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      30 days ago

Any and every excuse to muddy the waters for Israel’s benefit in 3… 2… 1…

Ah, muddying the waters is when the Houthis are doing what they’ve always been doing, and the longer they’ve been doing it, the more muddy the waters are.

• masquenox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        30 days ago

Do tell, PugJesus - is there anyone lifting a finger against the west’s genocidal client states you actually approve of?

Or is it just a queston of the way it looks being the way it is?

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          30 days ago

Do tell, PugJesus - is there anyone lifting a finger against the west’s genocidal client states you actually approve of?

Sure, but if I bring them up, you’ll inevitably say that what they’re doing isn’t enough, and only people who murder civilians for the crime of being gay or the wrong religion randomly targeting non-Israeli ships while occasionally saying “THIS IS FOR PALESTINE” are the REAL heroes.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              30 days ago

South Africa. Egypt. Ireland. Turkiye. Spain. Belgium.

EDIT: lmao. Fucking called it. “Only the civilian-murdering LGBT-genociding Houthis and Iran are the TRUE heroes” below. It seems only far-right fascists are acceptable to this brand of self-proclaimed ‘leftist’.

• masquenox@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                30 days ago

Turkiye

Turkey has been perpetrating the exact same crimes Israel is perpetrating in northern Syria - not to mention the fact that Turkey will happily do the same thing to Kurdish people Israel is doing to Palestinians. You think Palestinians and Yemenis should wait on Turkey’s “help”?

Egypt.

Egypt has been taking US bribe money to not threaten Israel for decades now. How did you think Egyptians ended up with another US-approved military dictator less than a year after Egyptians forced the previous US-approved military dictator out of office during the Arab Spring? You really think Palestinians and Yemenis should wait on Egypt’s “help”?

South Africa.

Don’t even go there. The South African government cares about as much for Palestinians as they care about South Africans - ie, not a lot. Their actions at the ICJ was designed to hurt and punish the US for it’s attempts at interfering in local South African politics, not help Palestinians. These very same ANC politicians who are now pretending to care so much for Palestinians sure didn’t mind sharing in the spoils when South Africa’s armaments industry was selling arms to US allies in the middle-east - which includes Saudi Arabia and Israel.

I won’t recommend Palestinians and Yemenis wait for real help from this part of the world.

Ireland. Spain. Belgium.

If you think that this qualifies as “lifting a finger” you probably also believe “thoughts & prayers” will (somehow) stop the alt-right’s child terrorists from shooting up schools and places of worship in your back yard.

Politicians yapping from podiums doesn’t stop genocidal colonialism. None of them has helped Palestinians make big, smoking holes in IDF tanks. None of them has helped Yemenis send Saudi Arabia’s US-trained death squads back to Riyadh in bodybags.

But do you know who has? Iran - funny that you didn’t mention them.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  30 days ago

lmao, fucking called it. Iran simping too, even. Anything for fascist theocracies who murder LGBT folks, huh?