• 𝕽𝖚𝖆𝖎𝖉𝖍𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖍@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Sure, why not? I have a couple of questions following a list of observations.

The About page says it’s a Java Spring Boot application, though… so the Go component is limited to a federation service?

The docs are all stub pages, so it’s a hard to figure out what it’s all about, and the Demo link leads to a standard Lemmy instance, complete with “Support Lemmy” hamburger menu entry. What’s differentiating this project, and what’s the motivation?

So of the projects under the github umbrella is the federation service (which you clearly state is the problem domain of this component). There’s quite a bit of scaffolding in that project; is the issues list of (8 currently) enhancements the sort of thing you’re looking for help with?

• lazyguru@discuss.onlineM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yes, the about site needs a lot of work. The demo site is using the Lemmy frontend but Java Springboot backend. The whole intent of the first milestone release is to be a drop-in replacement for Lemmy. It’s after that where we will differentiate with things like better moderation/admin support, etc… The federation service will be built in Golang. And yeah, we need to do a lot more work on outlining what work needs to be completed in the form of issues. Those 8 for sure are things that need to be done though.

• I just need motivation. If you’d write up a why (like, expand on your response in the wiki), what the differences will be, the benefits, and so on, that’s really the minimum needed to get people onboard and chipping in.

Oh, and probably a clarification of the governance and license; nobody wants to contribute a bunch of work to a project just so someone can go monetize it.

• synlogic@toot.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

@jgrim I’m a longtime programmer, Golang is my main lang lately, and could love to contrib code or perf upgrades to anything Mastodon/Fediverse related. but can only do it if budget avail

my CV linked from my Mastodon profile

• lazyguru@discuss.onlineM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Hi @synlogic@toot.io appreciate it, but we have no budget for paying contributors (we aren’t even covering base costs let along paying ourselves). This is an open source project where we don’t have any plans to monetize the platform itself (we might consider building things down the line that are paid add-ons, but nothing that would be essential for running your own instance self-hosted)