• ReluctantZen@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    29 days ago

For manga: if they provide a good way to read it in (human) English without region locking, there’s no real problem. Something like MangaPlus works decently well for chapter releases. Something like MangaUp sucks ass. I buy volumes and am subscribed to MangaPlus. Most of what I pirate isn’t even available in English.

For anime: stop with the idiotic exclusives and region locking, so there can be more services. CR needs to suck less and HIDIVE needs to open up their service to the rest of the world again. It’s hypocritical to complain about piracy when you never intended to sell it here anyway. No money is lost. Similar to manga, I buy Blurays (that work with my player) and am subscribed to CR (unwillingly, RIP Wakanim) and Netflix. I pirate what’s not available to me.

Will it solve everything? No, but it will for the majority

• mindbleach@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      29 days ago

Video needs mandatory licensing, immediately fucking yesterday. Streaming services are a market failure. This situation is not good for consumers, and it’s not even good for the companies. They tricked themselves into ruining an effortless money spigot.

• NoneOfUrBusiness@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      29 days ago

For manga: if they provide a good way to read it in (human) English without region locking, there’s no real problem.

Add within a reasonable timeframe of publishing. Idk if this is a problem with manga but at least it’s fucking ridiculous in light novels, where the English translation tends to be at least a year behind the original.

• ReluctantZen@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

Years is obviously not good, but I do think we should be wary of wanting it to be as quick as possible if we don’t want publishers to resort to machine translation (also known as A.I.).

I’m personally not too bothered by what you’re describing. They can’t always pick up everything when it gets published, so it makes sense to be behind. I’d pirate it at first too (for manga anyway), but once it comes out I buy it and reread it.