Hey there,

I wanted to recreate something like Reddit’s /r/homegym community over here on Lemmy.

It became one of my favourite spots during the lockdown. Despite the price gouging and supply issues, it was amazing to see people’s creativity when it came to fitness at home:

• We learned effective bodyweight exercises to keep us strong after the gyms shut down (like piston squat, nordic ham curl)
  • We built power racks out of whatever we had, capable of holding a good couple hundred KGs on a barbell (some excellent woodwork in general)
  • We improvised equipment and exercises with every day objects (a bunch of jerry cans and rebar for extra tricky front squat)
  • We got to understand how much you could get done in a modest space with just the essentials

A decent home gym can be surprisingly attainable today, particularly with people shifting their own kit now that commercial gyms have reopened.

Let’s see what you’re working with.

Moderators wanted

I’m not sure if I’ll have enough availability to moderate a community. If anyone would like to take it off my hands, you’re more than welcome to.