WASHINGTON, May 30 (Reuters) - A New York City hospital fired a Palestinian American Muslim nurse after she called Israel’s war in Gaza a “genocide” during an acceptance speech for an award for her work with bereaved mothers who lost their children during pregnancy and childbirth.

A spokesperson of the hospital, NYU Langone Health, said on Thursday that labor and delivery nurse Hesen Jabr had previously been warned not to bring her views “on this divisive and charged issue into the workplace.”

Jabr posted on Instagram that she was awarded on May 7, when she made her remarks, adding that she was handed a termination letter later in the month.

• Lexam@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    29 days ago

Damn, I ain’t saying shit about this genocide at work.

• cooljacob204@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      29 days ago

Honestly it’s best to not bring up anything other then work at work lol.

I keep it pretty much complete separated from my real life.

• SulaymanF@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      28 days ago

That’s the point; suppressing free speech. If you want the death of all Palestinians they won’t punish you for that.

• SulaymanF@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          28 days ago

Citation needed. NYU hasn’t fired anyone for being pro Israel. In fact if anything they’re over sensitive to any criticism of Israel because of its large Jewish student body and the fact that they have a campus in Tel Aviv.

The only example I could see of anyone pro-Israel being punished was a doctor demoted for posting anti-Arab racist images on his social media. But anyone who posts pro-Israel comments in general or supports the war has no problems. Again, citation needed.

• Paddzr@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            28 days ago

I’m not American, so maybe things are more sane here. I don’t see people being pro Israel here. But the UK doesn’t seem to treat world politics as a sports game…

• SulaymanF@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              28 days ago

Yes things are more sane there. I’m talking about NYU specifically as I was there for years, and America in general. UK is slightly more sane, look at the difference in support for Iraq war for example.

Also, If you’re not familiar with NYU or American politics then why are you calling me a liar?

• Paddzr@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                27 days ago

Gut reaction to seeing something not reflecting my reality.

Something that sounds so insane, you immediately want to shout at it? I don’t understand at will employment.