Awesome Android Apps

AAA

Hi all,

for 2 years, sporadically, I’ve been adding awesome FOSS apps with the following:

Rules

• Open Sourced
  • Free of charge (on F-Droid and source code repository releases)
  • Free as in Freedom
  • Ad-free
  • Installed and tested by me or by contributor
  • Privacy-friendly aware
  • Easy to use
  • Still in development or polished experience
  • Does not lack features compared to proprietary app
  • Does not need an account (the only exceptions are self-hosted) apps)
  • Has dark theme

…tested by my and then later by contributors. I think many of you will appreciate this simple README.md repo, and I would love some help with it.

🏔️ Codeberg version

I hope you will find it useful! 🤩

• Dessalines@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

Whobird under AI, nice.

Might be good to add descriptions for a lot of these also, I’m not sure what a lot of them do.

• Psyhackological@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

Wow!

Look who’s here! Absolute legend. :)

I see many people like whoBIRD.

Yeah I agree and that’s why I need feedback too. Not only being inside my head.

After all, who could have guessed what a Thumb-Key or a Jerboa is, wouldn’t you agree? 😆

• Dymonika@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

But these smaller ones are scary to follow because they’ll always lag behind on security updates.

• Dymonika@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            25 days ago

It’s strange that it doesn’t have Waterfox. Anyway, that wasn’t my point in the first place; first, Mozilla has to release its bug fixes, and then all these other browsers’ devs have to release their own counterparts in response. It is during this window in time when they’re most insecure, since the issues are then brought to light while users are helplessly waiting.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              24 days ago

Is there a Waterfox for Android?

I understand but just like one said “cybersec is just a panic control”. I don’t know if you are really really vulnerable especially when non-harden updated Firefox is more vulnerable and less secure than hardened a little outdated forks. If that’s not a crticial CVE I don’t see an issue on my GrapheneOS. Google could convince you not to use Firefox and use Chromium instead because they can control security for you not Mozilla so it also depends on perspective.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

Anyone got a suggestion for a clock app that lets me set an alarm for say three days from now? They all seem to only let you set it for the next time that time comes around, or on repeat. Is that an OS limitation?

• Anarki_@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      27 days ago

I don’t think it’s Open Source (sorry) and it does have (non intrusive, can prob be blocked) ads in the Freemium, but Sleep As Android by Urbandroid has this and much more. I bought an unlocker years ago and have not looked back.

I didn’t read the rules. My bad.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

Sometimes we find those gems. I know, for example about Niagara Launcher that is not open source but excellent. Just the original author wants to keep this app for himself. Also, nothing wrong with it same for making money with open-source apps. Yet, I intend to be FOSS and that’s all.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        27 days ago

I’m not OP and not trying to get things added to the list so don’t mind suggestions that don’t meet OP’s criteria, but I would prefer something open source if possible.

But now you mention it, I think I may have bought Sleep as Android many years ago, so I might still consider it. Thanks for the suggestion!

• gigachad@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

Unfortunately I do not have an app. I deal with this by adding an entry in my calender with a notitication. It’s annoying but works

• Dave@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

I do this currently for far off things but a notification doesn’t really replace a screaming alarm.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

I think it’s not OS limitiation, more like proper access to Android API functions that are easier on harder depending on the Android ROM. I can set an alarm to 4 May and it’s clock functionality.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

I’m running GrapheneOS if it makes a difference. What clock app are you running?

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          27 days ago

The stock one can do it and others on the list. Let’s say I want 11 AM at Tuesday - 3 days from now.

1. New alarm
          2. 11 AM
          3. Tuesday only

That’s it.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            27 days ago

Yes this is what I do currently, however, there are two issues with this.

First, sure it will wake me up on Tuesday. But it will also wake me up the following Tuesday, and the one after that.

But secondly, the main problem is that I can’t set an alarm for Tuesday the 3rd of September, when I have something important that I don’t forget and that justifies a screaming alarm, but it’s not within the next week so choosing to repeat each Tuesday doesn’t work.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              27 days ago

Yeah, you need to disable this after ringing.

I understand… I had this functionality (setting alarm on the particular date) on my old OnePlus 7 Pro with stock Clock (Oxygen OS 12.1). It was awesome. You could even set an alarm, check “Ring when powered off” or something like this, and you could power off your phone and let’s say I have a 6 AM alarm, the smartphone would automatically turn on itself at 5:58ish AM. I think every Clock app is based on “AOSP” clock project, so I think it depends on implementation and maybe hardware?

• Dave@lemmy.nz
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                27 days ago

It’s funny, this stuff was normal before smart phones. If you forgot to charge your phone (because you only had to do it every week or so, so you didn’t have a routine) then the alarm would still go off even if the battery died in the night.

We have some awesome new things that smart phones give us, but it’s not without compromise.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  27 days ago

True. I still miss, and I don’t know how to display passing seconds on my clock. It was present in Android 11 and now in Android 14 I cannot find anything to have it. Moreover, I loved on OxygenOS “triple fingers” from top to bottom - doing screenshot. I hate doing it through buttons. Same when I have a turned off-screen I could just “draw” with my finger letter V, and it would turn on the Flashlight and the same way turning it off.

• iomihai@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

“Early bird alarm clock” has it under the repeat menu you can set a date/dates for alarms.

• iomihai@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        19 days ago

Sorry, looked for it but I guess it is not open source :( I tried many apps and this one was the only one I found with a date alarm schedulde. weird how such a basic feature is so rare. Maybe try some tasks apps that have alarms? Please let us know if you find something useful

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

Looks astonishing! But I need to check if it’s working and applies to the rules. :c Maybe you could do that for me with a Pull Request? :)

• JackGreenEarth@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

Sorry, I don’t know how to use git. But I can verify that it does work, and work well. Its just a bit slow. It also adheres to the rules as far as I can tell.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 days ago

Ah, I understand, no worries. Just using Android and knowing what F-Droid is is enough. :)

Its just a bit slow.

If you don’t mind, me neither. ;)

But I don’t use it and I cannot confirm, so you know… contribution would be helpful. In the future I will try this up but no time for now :c

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              28 days ago

This repository is excellent for learning how to contribute on GitHub. Unfortunately account is needed.

1. Log in into GitHub account.
              2. Fork my project.
              3. On your fork add necessary changes using git and some text editor.
              4. Go into my project and submit a pull request that has changes on your fork for my main branch.

That’s it. :)

• Chemical Wonka
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    27 days ago

Fritter as a client for Twitter ? Lol this app doesn’t work for long time. Squacker is the only available option today but unfortunately they use Twitter API instead of Nitter that was shut down

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Yeah but it’s hit or miss. But I like the idea. Sometimes apps just name themselves with prefix of “Material”.