• SzethFriendOfNimi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    20 days ago

It’s a neat option but the example proof of concept alt text “The Firefox logo”, as I understand it, it isn’t ideal for describing the image.

Maybe something like this?

The Firefox logo which consists of a Fox wrapped around a sphere

• ShortN0te@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

That would depend on the context. How the logo looks like does not matter most of the time, only when the logo itself is the topic.

• SzethFriendOfNimi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        20 days ago

Makes sense. And if it’s not relative to the content you just put decorative only right?

So…

Welcome to Firefox ([Logo for Firefox] marked as decorative)

vs

Our sponsors are [Logo for Microsoft] [Logo for Firefox] [Logo for Google]

• OboTheHobo@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    20 days ago

This is the kinda stuff AI should be used for, this could be big for accessibility whenever alt text isn’t actually provided

• spacedogroy@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    18 days ago

All sounds pretty sensible. I do think it might feel annoying waiting minutes to download a model for the sake of generating a line of alt text the first time, though. It would probably be quicker to write the alt text.

• elfpie@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

I think it’s about generating alt text for people with disabilities when they are missing from pictures.

• uhN0id@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 days ago

Yeah if someone that is blind comes across a page I’m sure waiting for the description to generate is more valuable/worthwhile than a faster experience with no information at all.