link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    20 days ago

NetworkManager 1.48 Improves (…) still have to use 3 different applications to set network settings. Great job!

Maybe the GNOME team could allocate a few bucks to move the entire network stack to systemd-networkd and create a new unified networking UI.

• dkc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

I’m curious where you’re having issues. I’ve been able to use the little GNOME widget for setting up wireless connections for years.

Do you have an edge usecase that makes you drop back to using nmcli or is there a missing feature forcing you back to the ip/ifconfig commands?

No sarcasm, I’d just be interested in understanding your frustration a little better.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        20 days ago

What sense does it make to have to use two or three different UIs to configure your network. Some stuff can get done under Settings > Networking, others under nm-connection-editor

And to be fair NetworkManager’s networking implementation is a convoluted unreliable mess that doesn’t support half of systemd-networkd options and is incapable of handling changes to interfaces and links gracefully.

Even the classic Window network interfaces properties window is more consistent than what GNOME and NetworkManager offer.

• Domi@lemmy.secnd.me
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          19 days ago

NetworkManager is not the cause for having multiple UIs, that is just one of the side effects of GNOME going for the minimalistic approach. It’s never going to have all settings in their simple UI because that’s out of the scope for the GNOME project.

If having advanced network settings in a single UI is important to you, use KDE. It has wifi, static IPv4/IPv6, VLANs, routes, bridges, VPN and much more all in one interface.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            19 days ago

NetworkManager is not the cause for having multiple UIs

Yes, but it is the cause for having issues jumping between networks and never having proper IPv6 support.

It’s never going to have all settings in their simple UI because that’s out of the scope for the GNOME project.

Everything is “out of scope” with GNOME these days it seems. They talk a lot about having a vision but then they aren’t able to get a cohesive desktop experience going. nm-connection-editor vs settings is as bad as it gets.

• Domi@lemmy.secnd.me
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              19 days ago

Yes, but it is the cause for having issues jumping between networks and never having proper IPv6 support.

What issues are you having? I have no issues with switching between networks and using IPv6 on Fedora KDE.

The only thing I ever noticed was that its stubborn with releasing its DHCP IP addresses and there is no refresh button in KDE. Disabling and enabling again usually solves that, although not sure if that is on NetworkManager or dhclient.

Everything is “out of scope” with GNOME these days it seems.

It is, that’s why it is not a suitable DE for people that need more than the basics. I wish they were better with adding advanced features but they are not and probably never will be.

KDE might not be as pretty and flashy but it is pretty extensive when it comes to settings and fast with implementing new features.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                19 days ago

What issues are you having? I have no issues with switching between networks and using IPv6 on Fedora KDE.

I’ve IPv6 routes that say around after leaving a network and it takes more than it should to switch between VLANs. Wired 802.1X seems to be a pain sometimes as well, no ideia why but it says everything is connected and I get an IP however can’t ping anything until I restart the connection.

I wish they were better with adding advanced features but they are not and probably never will be. (…) DE might not be as pretty and flashy but it is pretty extensive when it comes to settings and fast with implementing new features.

Yeah, we lack a middle ground DE that actually is properly designed and has the advanced features. I don’t get the GNOME team, having features doesn’t hurt their vision as long as you design things properly - something that they can do. Most of the time it sounds like they simply don’t want to implement things so they hide behind excuses.

• pastermil@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

That might be the problem with DE integration. I’ve been using KDE, and I’ve only had to deal with a single interface for setting wifi connection.

• swab148@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        19 days ago

NetworkManager is still shite on KDE, I’ve had to change the backend to iwd and download a new DHCP client just this week.

• swab148@startrek.website
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            19 days ago

I think it’s just that the defaults for NetworkManager don’t play nice with systemd, wpa_supplicant would take several minutes to connect to my wifi, and dhcpd just dropped my connection after I rebooted the router (for unrelated purposes) and would reconnect for about a minute before it dropped it again.

I’ve still been having an issue where if I reboot the computer, NetworkManager will hang up the boot process indefinitely, but this doesn’t happen if I shut it down and then turn it back on with the power button. Still haven’t figured that one out, all of my research said that this issue was supposed to have been fixed with the last update, but not for me I guess!

• pastermil@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              19 days ago

Yeah, it’s known to not play nice with dhcpcd. I’ve been using nm’s built-in dhcp client. Otherwise dhclient’s been known to work. Not sure about the wpa_supplicant part as it never cause me any issue by itself.