• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Friend is heading to the Galapagos Islands for a vacation. He was appalled because none of the young people he talked to had any idea what they were.

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      30 days ago

In the defense of those folks, the knowledge of what the Galapagos are is pretty irrelevant unless you are into evolutionary biology or random islands for vacations. And even on thr vacation thing id rather go to Svalbard personally.

• Soggy@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

Shouldn’t have to be “into” evolutionary biology. The foundational events of Charles Darwin’s early research into evolution are basic biology. Darwin’s finches should be middle school education along with Punnett squares and the scientific method.

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          30 days ago

If it makes it any better I was thinking of some more modern instances of folks replicating Darwins finches or atleast observing the same thing. Also I associate darwin with barnacles and inbred tomato. I have been brain poisoned by too much info.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

At one time, not so long ago, Darwin was common knowledge. Something that you’d expect an intelligent 10 year old to know about. “Darwin” was one of the X-Men!