link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    29 days ago

For the longest time I thought this was solely a matter of education; but these days, I’m beginning to think such right-wing extremism is also a matter of mental illness.

Things like poor parenting, brain injuries from football, lead exposure from guns and motorsports, substance abuse, shitty diets, etc. – all culminate in a banner of people who are… Not of sound mind.

Saying this as a former rural Appalachian Republican from decades ago.

Edit: added “solely” for some clarification.

• A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      29 days ago

Its just people miserable with their lot in life and that hate themselves, and wanting to blame someone else for it.

• InternetUser2012@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      29 days ago

I agree that a lot is mental illness but I think it’s more education. They fall for the lies and get in line and do what they’re told to do by sources like fox “news”. It’s scary how it’s changed, I had Republican friends that we could all hang out and even discuss politics with no problems. Now, we don’t talk at all, there is no discussion. I am the enemy and I don’t even care about politics, just be a good human. I don’t think you can be a good human and support the Republicans at this time, it’s gone off the rails.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

You’re likely right that education is still the prevailing issue, but I think we need to get more specific on what kind of education people receive in terms of safeguarding against false rhetoric. Drilling in the logical fallacies, teaching ethics, and even teaching common propaganda techniques so you can identify them. We need to step back and ask ourselves how we managed to escape the rabbit hole when others could not.

The echo-chambers have become so ironclad that it’s so difficult to pierce through and drag someone out.

• beeple@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          29 days ago

This is a great indicator that free will isn’t what we think. I’ve been chatting to maga family about free will through that “how we managed to escape the rabbit hole” lens. There’s often a lot of reasons we have different opinions and tracing the distributed causality is pretty fun because you can avoid the propoganda talking points but still make progress. I think it helps them question information or to be more guarded instead of immediately parroting fox news lines.