Very cool social commentary, I think better than the Orville episode with the Up and Downvote society.

Though, at the end, I did hate everybody and wanted them to be eaten.

I do question having two “doctor lite” episodes back to back.

Imteresting music choices too… Didn’t we just have the Flying Purple People Eater? Now we have Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini…

Edit My bad, Flying Purple People Eater was in X-Men '97, which I also just watched. Easy mistake to make!

If next episode is Everybody’s Heard About the Bird…

• Vittelius@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

No the episode is definitely a commentary on racism. The inhabitants of Finetime are not just gen z, they are explicitly upper class gen z. They have literally blue blood. They are very Tory-coded.

The whole episode is riddled with micro aggressions from Lindy towards the doctor. Here is a possibly incomplete list of them:

• declining the Doctors call in the cold open. but taking Ruby’s later on
    • suspecting the Doctor is responsible for the situation
    • being disgusted by Ruby and the Doctor being in the same room
    • not noticing the Doctor and the person calling her in the morning where one and the same, saying she just thought they “looked the same”
    • Introducing the Doctor to her friends with the words “he is not as stupid as he looks” and suggesting he would be punished later on

There is also the mention of a cleanse, which takes on a very different meaning after the twist especially since not just the majority of the Finetime characters but all of them are white.

The whole episode is designed to make you question your own perceptiveness of racism. After the twist you are supposed to go “how could I have been so blind?”. I recommend a rewatch. And no, I didn’t pick up on it at first. I did notice some of them as weird, but noticed what all of them have in common only at the end.

• Kachilde@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

You are right. A lot of the micro aggressions I put down to the Finetimers just being naive, and wanting to live in their safety bubble, but all of your points made me feel uneasy at the time, and it makes sense that they were all related to racism.