My ISP provide me with good IPv6 connection with support of opening ports how I like. But IPv4 is behind a CGNAT and makes me unable to host a service on the legacy Internet.

Unfortunetely some of my friends I want to host (Jellyfin and Nextcloud) for does not have modern Internet connection, so I have to put some proxy.

Now I need suggestions of a solution. VPN on some VPS they would need to connection to is one of them, but it should be as simple for them to use as possible.

• Kwa@derpzilla.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

Be aware that doing it like this, the traffic from the VPS to your home will be unencrypted.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

Yes, and wouldn’t the traffic between his friend and his home server be encrypted as well? :)

The OP should first figure out how to do this with basic HTTP and then once it works he can do a more fancy setup like setup letsencrypt on the local server in order to have his website protected with a valid certificate.

Then he can configure the VPS Nginx instance to do SSL pass-thru on port 443. This makes it so the VPS will be able to receive HTTPS traffic and send it back to his home server without having to do SSL termination / decryption / dealing with SSL certificates. Only the home server will have the certificates thus be able to decrypt the traffic.

Once the website can be accessed from both servers directly with SSL he can proceed to disable plain text HTTP traffic. To do this simply remove the entire server { listen 80 section on both servers. The home server should end up server { listen listen [::]:443 ssl; section so it listens in both IPv4 and IPv6 for HTTPs traffic. The VPS should only have the stream at /etc/config/nginx.conf as described above - make sure the previous server block entry is removed from the VPS as it is no longer needed.

If the OP goes through all those steps then none of the servers will accept plain HTTP traffic and the VPS will only proxy encrypted data back to his home. The beauty of SSL pass-thru is that the VPS doesn’t have the means to decrypt the traffic, you won’t have to manage certificates in across two servers and it’s way easier to setup than a WG tunnel.