Vulnerabilities in Sogou Keyboard encryption expose keypresses to network eavesdropping.

• Anamana@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Why? Useful for safety and security of the society?

Edit: Why downvotes? I’m trying to put myself in their shoes, it’s not how I view it lol

• godless@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Comes with a built in translator and spell checker, and since access to Google translate is blocked, that’s often the only alternative.

• godless@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Nah. They don’t know Google translate. Or Google, for that matter. They know what they are supposed to know.

Of course some people know better, and those are the ones who will eventually get around the block - finding and installing a VPN is not rocket science, not even here. But if you keep 98% of the population contained, the rest won’t reach critical mass.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Yeah, wtf is that equivalency?

“Why do people smoke”

“Well some people like to eat at restaurants or watch movies with their friends so”

• coffeebiscuit@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

It was a “what about” analogy. It compares a app that steals data without the users consent and the other one is the keyboard app. Both seem to be wanted by consumers despite the steeling parts.

• Anamana@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Yeah but a social media platform has completely different qualities. Therefore the reasons for people how and why they use them will be completely different. Also the keyboard app is forced on the phones by the state while the use of social media platforms is optional. Just too many different factors at play here imo.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Some weird downvotes, and I want to know too. Why does a keyboard app mean anything to anyone? The keyboards included on iOS and latest Android versions are great.

• thekinghaslost@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Don’t know about this keyboard or Chinese, but a language specific feature might be one of the reason.

I use SwiftKey and I love how it supports multilingual autocorrect and prediction for Indonesian and English without needing to switch between keyboard language.

iOS built in keyboard supports multilingual typing for some languages, but not Indonesian.

I assume people love it also because some specific feature that doesn’t exist in the stock keyboard.