• Turbo@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

That may be a reason to run a dual boot with Windows and your special gfx or cad software that you earn your livelihood from.

But for the other 75% of the time when not working, you have Linux.

• Pacmanlives@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Till windows updates and over writes your Lilo or Grub boot. Might be less of thing with non-mbr setups not sure have not dual booted in a long ass time

• Turbo@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        23 days ago

I have not had an issue in… 9 years? Though I use separate physical drives which might help. I wouldn’t let that scare people away

Edit: I’m also using rEFInd Boot Manager. I have about 5 operating systems that I can boot into (good way to try various Linux distros)

• AnUnusualRelic@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

Same here. That’s pretty much a myth. I also have a couple laptops that still have a small windows partition and never had any issues.

That happened ages ago and gets blindly parroted to this day. I’m fairly convinced it’s the same with the nVidia stories.

• angrymouse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

With EFI you can even install windows after Linux and it will not mess with your systemctl boot. Windows will only put its bootloader in the EFI partition and systemctlboot will continue working. My girlfriend made this and I lost my jaw.

• rotopenguin@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Under EFI, each bootloader has its own folder in the EFI partition. Each of those are registered with the firmware, and one of them is designated as the default. Grub is still there, but you’ll have to mash (different key for every OEM) to get to the chooser menu.