link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

Linux Is Only Free if You Don’t Value Your Time

This one is my favorite.

My co-workers SSD failed, and he was out most of the day. My SSD failed, and I was back up and running in about 10 minutes.

• Renegade@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

After several years of using Linux for work and school, I made the leap to daily driving linux on my personal computer. I stuck with it for two years. Hundreds of hours I sunk into an endless stream of inane troubleshooting. Linux preys on my desire to fix stuff and my insane belief that just one more change, suggested by just one more obscure forum post will fix the issue.

• angrymouse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Yeah, but you can also run as a windows user and be happy. I have my moments of “from scratch” guy, but sometimes I just throw all away and reinstall (or install another) my distro when I feel the issue is too obscure and should not be occurring. A lot of ppl judge me but I’m using only Linux for the past 3 years and I’m happy as fuck with it. Even liking problem solving sometimes I just want to open a game and run, and yeah, I can do it in the exactly same lazy way of windows.

• ssm@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

If the user sees the following

Linux Is Only Free if You Don’t Value Your Time

one must immediately counter with

Windows Is Only Free if You Don’t Value Your Privacy

The Windows user will immediately disintegrate if performed optimally

• D_Air1@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        23 days ago

Most likely through a combination of backups and the fact that all your apps can be redownloaded from the repos with a single terminal command followed by a list of packages. I literally keep a list of installed packages. When I reinstalled my system years ago. I restored all configs from my backups and just installed all the same packages I had last time. Reboot and boom you are up and running in no time flat. Depending on your internet speed.

• kirincorleone@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          22 days ago

That makes sense, can you please guide me to a term that I can google or perhaps a guide article, if you dont mind, please?

• D_Air1@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            22 days ago

You will come across all sorts of different solutions by just searching for linux backups. I personally use the app vorta which uses the command line tool borg under the hood. As for the list of packages, that will differ per distro, so just search how to list all installed packages on your distro.

• arthurpizza@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

Boot to USB drive and load documents from backup. After my shift is over, I restore or replace the bad drive.