• TechyDad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I still want DeSantis to answer how slaves could use skills they acquired “for personal benefit” if they were owned by someone. Did the slave walk up to the plantation owner and ask to quit being a slave so that they could set up their own blacksmithing business? (Spoiler: No, they didn’t. Any slave that tried doing this would have been beaten or worse.)

Maybe some slaves escaped and maybe some of them were able to do certain tasks because they did those chores when they were slaves, but this is a fraction of a fraction of a percent. It definitely shouldn’t be used in a classroom as some kind of rationalization for why slavery wasn’t that bad. It ignores what happened to 99.99% of slaves because the story of the 0.01% is more politically palatable to Republicans.

(Note: I’ll admit that the fractions were made up by me. They’re intended to illustrate a point and not to express any actual rate. If anything, 0.01% is probably too high of a percentage.)

• Kage520@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

You are making the mistake of stepping into the argument. Even if you eventually convince a conservative that this is incorrect, fox news will fix their view back in a couple of weeks, and even add more deplorable viewpoints to boot.

I don’t know how to fix the issue. Propaganda is just too effective.

• Brejela the Purple@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Trying to reason with right-wing extremists is now more impossible than ever. I’ve seen a dude defend medical bankruptcy as a concept. When trying to explain to them how inhumane that sounded, they called me a commie and starting on a pointless rant about trans people.

• PeepinGoodArgs@reddthat.com
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

(Note: I’ll admit that the fractions were made up by me. They’re intended to illustrate a point and not to express any actual rate. If anything, 0.01% is probably too high of a percentage.)

As an absolute hater of right-wing propaganda, this is cute af. You’re being intellectually honest like it matters to them. But you’re really just handing them the rope they’ll use to strangle your argument.

Oh, the fractions were made up, then your entire argument is obviously false! You don’t know what you’re talking about! Maybe you should listen to the real experts like PragerU! (Add a sentence that’s an insult that includes the word “groomer” for good measure).

I mean, actual conservative think tanks, ostensibly the conservative intellectual elite, engage in this type of bullshit: Biden’s War on Texas Border Buoys Reveals What He Really Thinks About Immigration Laws

They do not give a fuck about intellectual honesty.

• Yepthatsme@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

He would point out all of the black folks who drive around in shit cars and pick up scrap all over the state. That shit is so blatant and obvious that that is how the north florida plantation hegemony wants the entire state to be its gross. They keep the black folks down bad there.

• misterundercoat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

You’re making the mistake of trying to use logic against batshit insanity instead of simply calling out batshit insanity for what it is. Don’t fall into that trap; you’re only validating them.

• TechyDad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Unless the slaves happened to live at the end of the Civil War or were lucky enough to have an owner that decided to free them (highly unlikely), they weren’t freed. They were kept as slaves until they died. It’s not like they got to retire from slavery and launch their own business.

And, no, the DeSantis revisionist history doesn’t specify “slaves at the end of slavery.” It says that slaves in general benefited from “skills they learned that they were able apply for personal benefit.” This didn’t happen except perhaps in extremely rare circumstances.

• nwilz@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Of course that’s what it’s talking about. No thinks slavery was good

• CoolSouthpaw@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Ugh. What a fucking piece of shit. Good thing he is getting TROUNCED in the primary race so far.

• betterdeadthanreddit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Full speed ahead, icebergs don’t exist if you ignore them. If he admits that he’s wrong, he’s not going to gain votes from people who criticize that position but will lose votes from the ones who interpret that as weakness.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Ron DeSantis is tripling down on his state’s newly approved social studies curriculum guidelines that erroneously teach students that enslaved people “developed skills” that they could use for “personal benefit.”

The controversy also highlights the Republican Party’s sluggish gains among Black voters, who vote overwhelmingly Democratic, as it makes a rightward shift on race.

The kindergarten through fourth grade standards require students to identify Black people who have had a “positive impact” in politics, art, invention, and other areas.

In these sections, teachers are guided to create lessons about the jobs enslaved people performed, including tailoring, blacksmithing, and agricultural tasks, and how the skills they learned could be used for “personal benefit.”

Nothing about that 400 years of evil was a ‘net benefit’ to my ancestors,” tweeted Rep. John James, a Michigan Republican, referring to the acronym for career and technical education.

But in the party overall, Republican leaders have moved right on race, aligning with far-right figures who reject the idea that minority groups face structural bias.

I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• lasagna@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I can’t begin to imagine how people like this draw pleasure from life. This sort of evil is so extremely shallow. Have they ever even considered what they will think in their death bed? Or do they also just wanna kill themselves before it gets too bad, a la Hitler?

• hydrashok@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

The scary answer is they don’t think about it. I’m sure many of them genuinely believe it is the best way forward and their legacy will be secured in the future. To them, the ends justify the means.

Perhaps some of them will have a change of heart later in life, but the damage will have already been done at that point.

Then again, there are other Rs that have been this way their entire lives and show no sign of stopping their hate anytime soon (McConnell, for example), so I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

• crusa187@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I think conservatives like this have broken/missing empathy circuits. These are fundamentally broken people who act out in these sociopathic ways because they aren’t able to relate to those outside of their same demographic.

• nwilz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

“developed skills in spite of slavery, not because of slavery,” adding that “it was them showing resourcefulness and then using those skills once slavery ended.”

• Ducks@ducks.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Looking forward to the day this meatball becomes irrelevant.