• In short: The Fair Work Commission has increased both the minimum and award wages by 3.75 per cent.
  • The decision means the national minimum wage will be $24.10 per hour or $913.91 per week, based on a 38-hour week.
  • What’s next? The increase to minimum and award wages will take effect from July 1.

Additional coverage:

• Baku@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

I know this might sound kind of egotistical, but thanks for posting so much recently. I feel like recently I’ve sort of been dominating things, partly because I wanted to keep things active, but I backed off and wasn’t sure if anybody was going to take over posting the interesting ABC articles

• MHLoppy@fedia.ioOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

I do try to post to this instance periodically (though sporadically might be more accurate to how it usually goes)! I know what you mean about the balance between dominating submissions vs not having activity - it can feel a bit weird being “the person who posts all the ____ stuff”.

• Nath@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

It’s been a long time since I was on minimum wage, but that’s $47.5k / roughly what I was making around 2003-2005 as an IT worker.

Minimum wage has come a long way in 30 years! (No, I couldn’t live on this wage today - depending on how much I’d lose in tax, it might not even cover my rent. But still, minimum wage is pushing $50k!)