• stevedidwhat_infosec@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

Inb4 linux is better but ignoring that things like “trusted” repo upgrades could come with a side order of compromised for months, including spyware

Turns out, not everything is black and white

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

That happened one time, and it was caught before it was deployed to 99% of the people using Linux (assuming you’re talking about the SSH hack, which was likely State sponsored).

• AItoothbrush@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

Thankfully the spyware on windows is state sponsored and its also preinstalled 👍. You dont have to worry about cybersecurity because you are always compromised anyway.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          25 days ago

Yeah, in the case of Windows tracking it is literally sponsored by the government, in the sense that they take our tax dollars, and hand them to Microsoft in exchange for all the data they steal.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Gamblers fallacy.

Python, npm, and others are seeing huge spikes in typosquatting with malware

Supply chain attacks are also continuing to rise which takes away everyone’s naive approach to trusting whatever comes along on the premise of “name brands”

There’s no such thing as greener grass. It is always just a different shade. We are long past simplistic systems, and continue to grow in complexity which means an increasing attack surface and a necessity for continuing education/research.

Never trust, always verify. Windows is a heaping dumpster fire 80% of the time but I’m not going to pretend that Linux magically fixes everything and is infallible or somehow just “better”. There’s a reason many people don’t switch to Linux and that’s in the simplicity of using windows (mac, even). Linux, to some extent, requires a technical mindset, especially when it comes down to analyzing push/pull history for every package that gets installed/updated.

Not to mention the bullshit that comes with the (go figure) most common and user-friendly Linux distro - Ubuntu.

• ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

“Thing A is worse than Thing B, because while Thing B definitely does stuff, Thing A has the potential for stuff.”

-Microsoft Copeheads.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 days ago

Literally just said that windows is a dumpster fire for the majority of the time

Then explained that I also don’t think Linux should be seen as somehow better, and that it’s just a variant with different problems

But I guess that flew over your narrow mindset.

See ya

• ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          24 days ago

Inb4 linux is better but ignoring that things like “trusted” repo upgrades could come with a side order of compromised for months, including spyware

Turns out, not everything is black and white

I must be missing it. Where in the above comment did you “Literally just said that windows is a dumpster fire for the majority of the time,” hmm?

See ya indeed.

• HeyLow@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      25 days ago

I can read a repo list. I can’t see what windows is doing. It’s an entire operating system that has spyware rooted into every nook and cranny of it. Now it takes screenshots of everything you do by default.