Lemmy, I have completed tens of modules across several different universities. I have been course-hopping for long enough that I’d have a bachelors degree by now had I found and stayed on a course that suited me. I can’t be asked to commit to one and study it for yet another 3 years before I get a degree*. Yet I feel like all of the effort that I have expended up to this point will go unacknowledged, just because it was spread across several unis and doesn’t fall into any of their pre-defined study plans. I am a person driven by short bouts of intense curiosity of the type that dives down Wikipedia rabbitholes**. I want to do a highly qualified job but am failing to fit in to the rigid framework that academia sets you. I have several Master’s theses that I’d start researching tomorrow if the system let me. Yet without so much as a bachelor’s I might as well go work in a supermarket. How do I move on from here?

*Perhaps it’s also because I’m now in my early 20s and finally want to have some time to explore.
**I am a logical thinker and predominantly interested in STEM topics.

• unn@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

I think you’re sabotaging yourself. Get an entry position in software engineering (not necessarily code, see management positions for example as well) since you can work in many different domains.

• Westcoastdg@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      25 days ago

Counterpoint, if this dude can’t complete a bachelor’s yet he thinks he has “multiple Masters theses” he could complete “if only the system would let him”, he is definitely unfit to be any type of manager at this stage.

I have similar focus issues and it sucks, but literally everyone in their early twenties feels this way at some point. I would agree with getting a job, or just focusing to complete any BA, having to compare one’s skill set in a specific consistent thing against other people is important for a reality check

• cRazi_man@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Completely agree with this point. OP sounds like they need to figure out their issues first. I don’t think any commitment should be made to any longterm course or career yet. Probably best to take an entry level job in any area of interest with the current qualifications and go from there. Develop a focus, develop and interest, know what to aim for.