• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

If jobs consisted of only attending video calls and wiring emails, the world would be a very different place.

• Car@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

I honestly don’t know if this would be like letting toddlers run a daycare or if it would be paradise.

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

Honestly, I have trouble imagining such a world. Hmmm… The more I think about it, the more it just kinda sounds like high school… Sends shivers down my spine.

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

As a developer I have to say OH hell nah. If I had to compare the issue to something more layman, I’d compare it to tesla’s self driving. If I have to watch it the entire time it does its thing because there’s an almost certain chance it’ll mess something up CATASTROPHICALLY due to the fact that it literally lacks the ability to understand, than I might as well just do it my self. It rarely saves time and only in dumb cases, that should have been automated in other ways a long time ago.

Not saying it’s not a very handy tool occasionally, just that it can’t come up with solutions to problems on its own, which is like 75% of my work. And it can’t do this due to a fundamental limitation in how learning models work, no amount of training will fix this.

• Valmond@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          21 days ago

We’re getting close to 100% meetings and bullshit reportings in tech was what I tried to convey.

• LANIK2000@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            21 days ago

Sounds like the kind of work my analyst does. I guess he’s technically part of the development team, so sure??? Our 3 client mediators are totally taking over. Also pretty sure we’re the only IT department that even has such a thing. The only other person in our IT branch to be mainly doing calls and such is the top head of IT, every other IT boss still has a lot of technical work around their necks. So at least at my job “close to 100%” is an absolute farcry.

It’s a very similar story at my girlfriend’s work place. Except they don’t even have analysts.