Exciting News: Cake Wallet and Monero.com Now Available on F-Droid!

We are excited to announce a significant quality of life improvement for our Cake Wallet / Monero.com Android users! Cake Wallet and Monero.com are now officially accessible through F-Droid, fulfilling a highly anticipated feature request dating back to 2018. F-Droid offers a convenient way to keep your app versions updated without relying on the Google Play Store.

To acquire Cake Wallet and Monero.com via our F-Droid repository, the process is straightforward:

1. Install the F-Droid app for Android.

2. Visit fdroid.cakelabs.com.

3. In the F-Droid app settings, navigate to Repositories, then click the + button. Type or paste the following URL: https://fdroid.cakelabs.com, along with the recommended fingerprint.

Embark on your enhanced Cake Wallet journey via F-Droid! Rest assured, Cake Wallet and Monero.com will continue to be available on the Google Play Store and our GitHub repository.

Stay tuned, as we have more updates and features in the pipeline! 🍰

Cake Wallet (Multi-Coin Wallet)

Monero.com by Cake Wallet (Monero-Only Wallet)

• Cam@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I think the reason for this is because of cakepay. When you compile the code of cake wallet, it does not include the keys to allow for instant payments for cakepay. The compiled version does contain the official keys to allow instant payments for cakepay. These keys used for instant cakepay payments is to prevent double spend attacks for cakepay.

That being said, sadly no one can truly verify the app.

However the benefits of having your own repo is faster updates which is useful when a coin has a hard fork update. Official F-Droid repo apps updates could take days to be released. And if you can build the app from source and it matches the checksum of the fdroid release, all is good.

• itsmect@monero.town
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s not 90% of the work done, getting listed on the official fdroid repo is a pita. From a user perspective it’s nearly the same, you don’t have to deal with manual update nor with gplay. Both of the other monero wallets available through f-droid do the same and have their own seperate repository.

• jet@hackertalks.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Being in the main repo has some major benefits from the users perspective.

1. I know it’s actually FOSS

2. I know no extra binaries or libraries “accidentally” leak in

3. I know effort has gone into reproducable builds, and if I ever need to fork the project the build chain works externally.

4. No special signing key gymnastics baked in

Net net being in the main repository is a huge endorsement to the open source health of a project

• Killercat103@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

True and I believe it helps discovery of the app. When searching Monero on the official repo you get nothing so cake wallet would be the first. Its also a convenience for the users who do not want to go around and adding repos for seperate projects.

Anyhow them being on F-Droid repo was my encourager to try the app out. Very glad for this update.

• Lansberg@monero.town
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I use half year CakeWallet on my GrapheneOS Pixel phone which is downloaded from Aurora store. Is it wrong?